Welcome to Coastal Carolina University Athletic Training
The Coastal Carolina Athletic Training staff consists of Six NATA-certified staff athletic trainers, six interns, 13 affiliated team physicians, and many local allied health care providers and specialists.
Athletic trainers are educated and highly skilled allied health care professionals. In cooperation with physicians and other allied health care providers, athletic trainers function as members of the athletic health care team. Athletic trainers are required to maintain Continuing Education Requirements by their national certifying body (NATA Board of Certification) and the State of South Carolina.
Athletic Trainers are certified by the National Athletic Trainers' Association Board of Certification and by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC). These bodies require written and oral examinations that test skills in the five domains of athletic training once a degree program has been completed.
All Athletic Trainers are expected to be competent in the following areas:
- Risk management and injury prevention
- Pathology of injuries and illnesses
- Assessment and evaluation
- Acute care of injury and illness
- Therapeutic modalities
- Psychosocial intervention and referral
- Health care administration
- Professional development and responsibility
- Provide therapeutic exercise for general medical conditions and disabilities
- Nutritional aspects of injury and illness