facebook icon twitter youtube

Frequently Asked Questions

When am I going to receive my bill?

The Office of Student Accounts does not issue paper bills. All billing is done through WebAdvisor. Each year we post a grid on the Student Accounts website and on WebAdvisor that indicates when bills will be available online, when payments are due and when the first financial aid disbursement of each semester will occur.

How long do I have to pay my bill?

Except for preregistration, all bills are due when they appear on your student account. You can view your bill on the Current Account Balance screen through WebAdvisor. Each year we post a grid on the Student Accounts website and on WebAdvisor that indicates when bills will be available online, when payments are due and when the first financial aid disbursement of each semester will occur. WebAdvisor is live and shows payments, scheduling and changes as they occur.

How do I make a payment online?

Go to WebAdvisor. Payments can be made on the Make a Payment screen. If your balance is not accurate, please contact one of the following offices: Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships if any scholarships or other aid are not reflected on your account at 843-349-2313 or Office of Student Accounts with any questions regarding your charges at 843-349-2159.

How do I know my payment was approved?

  • A payment confirmation screen will appear. This screen displays the amount paid and a reference number. You will also receive an e-mail at your University e-mail address with the same information. This can serve as your receipt.
  • If payment is not approved, check the credit card type, number, expiration date and resubmit. If the credit card is declined, contact the issuing bank to insure sufficient available credit is on the credit card and try again.

Can I still pay online without paying a service fee?

To avoid the service fee, make online payments directly from any checking account using the electronic checks (ACH) option. Simply enter the bank routing and account numbers on the Official Payments website linked through WebAdvisor. Please note that Savings accounts and Home Equity accounts are non-transaction accounts on which electronic checks cannot be drawn. A $30 fee will be assessed for all returned checks.

Why is my housing $50 more than my room cost?

The additional $50 charge on the Registration Statement (bill) is the processing fee that was paid when the Housing Application was completed. The Payments line will reflect the $50 payment. The $100 advance payment will show on the Advance Deposit line once housing has been assigned.

How do I setup a payment plan?

The most convenient way to set up a payment plan is by clicking on the Payment Plan Agreement link in WebAdvisor. You may also come to the Office of Student Accounts to set up a payment plan in person. Please note: Simply paying a fourth of your balance online does not constitute setting up a payment plan. You must complete the online application, pay the setup fee and agree to the terms and conditions before the plan is in effect.

May I setup a payment plan for Maymester and summer term classes?

No, the payment plan option is only available for the fall and spring full terms.

What do I need to know about auditing a class?
All auditors must be admitted to the University and go through the regular registration process. Auditors will be charged the same fees as students taking courses for academic credit.

Why can't I ask about my child's account? I pay the bill.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that gives parents the right to have access to their children's educational records, the right to have the records amended and the right to have some control over the disclosure of personally identifiable information from the educational records. However, when a student turns 18 years old or enters a postsecondary institution at any age, the rights under FERPA transfer from the parent to the student. This means that any record, be it academic, financial or judicial, will not be released to anyone other than the student without prior written permission or Parent/Guardian access granted (completed through WebAdvisor) from that student.

My student has signed me up for Parent/Guardian WebAdvisor. Why can't you discuss with me the miscellaneous charges on my student's account?

FERPA does not permit us to discuss miscellaneous charges with anyone but the student, even someone to whom the student has granted Parent/Guardian access.

How will I receive my excess financial aid money?

Refunds are processed electronically by direct deposit. Direct Deposit is the electronic transfer of funds into a checking or savings account. It is the quickest, safest and most efficient way to receive a refund. Students may use their checking or savings account or may use their parent's checking or savings account to receive their funds. The checking or savings account must be a U.S. account. Students should enroll through WebAdvisor. After enrolling in direct deposit, students must update their direct deposit enrollment information whenever their banking information changes.

Any credit on your account created by a Parent PLUS loan is refunded in the form of a paper check made payable to the borrowing parent and mailed to the permanent home address on file with the lender.

My 1098-T did not come in the mail. May I obtain a copy of all expenses I paid for during the past calendar year?

1098-Ts are available through WebAdvisor beginning February 1. Please note: The 1098-T reports what the University charged your student in a given calendar year, not what you paid. However, we can provide the student with a copy of all the activity charges and payments upon the student's request. The student may then provide that information to you.

How long do I have to make changes to my meal plan?

You may change your meal plan during the first two weeks of the semester.

Is a meal plan required on my account?

All resident freshmen and sophomores are required to have one of the four resident meal plans. Exemptions may be granted and requests for exemption should be directed to the Office of University Housing (housing@coastal.edu).

Will there be restrictions placed on my account if I don’t pay the balance owed?

To minimize disruptions to class schedules, access to transcripts and diplomas, it is important that each student keeps up with his/her student account balance and associated timeliness for payment. A student accounts calendar of important dates for the academic year is provided on WebAdvisor to inform or remind students of bill issuance and payment due dates.

I have a Bursar hold on my account. What does this mean?

With the exception of a U2 which indicates that a student is on a payment plan, a Bursar hold indicates that a student has a balance on his/her student account that needs to be paid.

May I charge books in the bookstore?

Yes, if you have borrowed more than you need to cover your balance, you are eligible to charge books at the Chanticleer Bookstore. However, you must complete a Financial Aid Authorization form authorizing the use of these funds to be applied to all of your charges. (If the money is PLUS money, the parent's signature is also required.) More information and the form can be found at: http://wow.coastal.edu/financialaid/forms.html.

I have a 529 Plan. Who can help me?

Contact the banking institution that holds your 529 Plan. Each plan is different and your bank will be able to tell you how they disburse funds. For additional information, contact the Office of Student Accounts at 843-349-2159, who processes these funds once they are received by the University.

May I cash a check in the Office of Student Accounts?

Student Accounts does not provide any banking. There are several banks in the area with incentives for students who open accounts.

May I use my financial aid for the next fall semester to pay my remaining spring (or summer) balance?

Future aid cannot be used on prior balances. Prior/delinquent balances can hinder registration, receiving transcripts and your diploma. Please pay all balances in a timely manner.

Why didn't my loan check come in for the amount I borrowed?

Most student loans and PLUS loans have loan origination fees, a fee the lender charges you for borrowing money. This information should be found in the terms and conditions from your lender regarding the loan. We only see the full amount that was borrowed until the money actually arrives from the lender.

Where do I find WebAdvisor assistance?

Additional instructions are available http://www.coastal.edu/registrar/webadforstu.html.