Recycling at CCU
Recycling is the cornerstone of sustainability at Coastal Carolina University. CCU takes recycling seriously and provides multiple opportunities to recycle throughout campus, in the residence halls and at on-campus events. Recycling continues to grow with the campus and departments are making strides to recycle more and take steps to reduce environmental impacts. During 2011-2012, Coastal Carolina University recycled a total of 495 tons of material.
Where can I recycle in academic and administrative buildings?
- All of our campus buildings have recycling systems. The most common locations include lobbies, hallways, breakrooms, and copy/mail rooms. Outside of the buildings, we offer recycling along sidewalks, at the entrances to buildings and at all the main campus bus stops.
What can I recycle on campus?
- Mixed Paper - Newspaper, Magazines, Office Paper (including shredded), Junk Mail, Catalogs Phone Books
- Cardboard - Corrugated Cardboard, Pizza Boxes, Snack Boxes, Cereal Boxes
- Plastic Bottles & Jugs
- Metal & Aluminum Cans
- Glass Bottles & Jars
- Empty Ink Cartridges (all sizes, brands, including toners)
- Used Batteries (alkaline, lead-acid)
- Techno Trash (computers, computer parts, cell phones, CD's, VHS tapes)
- Deodorant Sticks (only in marked locations in locker rooms)
Recycling Policy and Donation Collection
You can review the University's Recycling and Waste Reduction Policy and if your organization would like to start a donation collection, please fill out the "Donation Collection Request Form" located on the Faculty/Staff Forms page. Your organization may supply their own containers, but they must be approved by the Sustainability Initiative office.
For all questions about recycling at CCU, please contact the Sustainability Initiative office at (843) 349-5041 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Residence Hall Recycling
Recycling shouldn't stop after class is over. Students can take the initiative to recycle in the residence halls. All students that live in residence halls on CCU's main campus and University Place have the opportunity to recycle. Recycling is a voluntary program.
Step 1 - Request a Bin
If you are a student living in the residence hall, you may request a bin to participate in the recycling program. To request a bin, complete the bin request form.
Step 2 - Know What to Recycle
- plastic bottles and jugs (no plastic bags)
- metal cans (aluminum and steel)
- glass bottles and jars
- cardboard, cereal boxes and snack boxes (flatten)
- all paper, including newspaper, magazines and junk mail.
Step 3 - Know Where to take Recyclables
- The Teal recycling container look like the one to the right.
- Main Campus - large teal-color recycling container, located between Ingle Hall and the Woods, near the basketball court
- University Place (Piedmont) - large, teal-color recycling container, located near the dumpsters in the parking lot by Buildings 1030 and 1065.
For more information, call (843) 349-5041 or email email@example.com
Deodorant Stick Recycling
Collecting deodorant sticks for responsible recycling has never been done, and Coastal Carolina University is one of only 50 participants in this pilot program. Recycling deodorant sticks is made possible by these partners: Unilever, NextLife and Earth911.
What To Do: Collect deodorant sticks (no aerosols) at key locations across campus, which include by the athletic locker rooms and the lobbies of University Housing.
It's a competition! Our university has a chance to win $1,000 for our student Green Fund for recycling the most deodorant sticks!
The program ends May 31, 2013.
How are the deodorant sticks recycled? NextLife has developed a system that cleans the plastic and converts it to a sustainable resin. These resins are used to create 100 percent post-consumer recycled consumer and commercial plastic products. They create these resins into products like more deodorant sticks.
Special events and athletic games at Coastal Carolina University have the opportunity to recycle. The Green Team helps to set-up and pick-up recycling at events at CCU.
To have recycling available at your event or game on campus, please fill out a Facilities Work Request at least one week prior to your event. For more information, call (843) 349-5041 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Game Day Recycling
Athletics at Coastal Carolina University draw fans from throughout the campus and community. We are so pleased to have you on campus. We also see that our fans generate lots of items that can be recycled, so we have setup convenient ways to make sure those items stay out of the landfill.
For the Fans
Tailgate Recycling (for Football & Baseball) - Get your free recycling bags from the Green Team, who will pass out bags throughout the tailgate time prior to kick-off. Tailgate participants simply fill up their bags and leave them at their sites for the Green Team to pick-up later for recycling.
Stadium Recycling - Recycling doesn't stop at the gate, look for recycling bins throughout the stadium. Make sure your programs, plastic bottles and cans make it into these and we will do the rest.