Mission: To foster sustainable living, education and behavior within the campus and the community by equipping student leaders with the skills and the knowledge of sustainability.
Who Are Eco-Rep Leaders? Eco-Rep Leaders are select undergraduate students who are leaders that represent the Sustainability office at Coastal Carolina University. Eco-Reps are leaders and peer educators who model and promote sustainable living. Eco-Rep Leaders work to develop programs and events that challenge their peers and the campus community to adopt a more sustainable lifestyle.
Book An Eco-Rep Leader! If you would like to book an Eco-Rep Leader to do an educational presentation for your class or organization, email email@example.com
Now Hiring for Spring 2015! Eco-Rep Leader Application Spring 2015
Meet the Eco-Rep Leaders Fall 2014
Major: Math / Minor: Business Admin.
Graduation Year: 2017
Hometown: Southern Maryland
To live a simple and sustainable live, remember the three r's: reduce, reuse and recycle! Also remember that these three easy steps not only benefit you today, but they help to benefit our environment for the future!
Favorite Anything: I am an dare-devil at heart! I love spontaneity and being a thrill-seeker. My most recent adventure was cliff-jumping off the coast of Greece in Santorini!
Major: IDS in Ethology and Zoology, Psychology
Graduation Year: December 2015
Hometown: Pickerington, OH
Green Tip: Turn off all lights and electronics when they're not being used. If Americans eliminated 'vampire' energy, they would save over $4 billion a year! (Via GOOD magazine YouTube film).
Favorite Anything: "We will never have a perfect world, but it's not romantic or naïve to work toward a better one". -Steven Pinker
Graduation Year: 2016
Hometown: South Burlington, VT
Green Tip: Think about the goodbye before a good buy.
Favorite Anything: Ishmael by Daniel Quinn.
Major: Marine Science / Minor: Biology
Graduation Year: December 2015
Hometown: Charleston, WV
Green Tip: Unplugging your appliances when they are not in use i.e. kitchen appliances, or hair straighteners, can save you money and lower your electric bill.
Favorite Anything: I am a movie fanatic and a book reader so when it comes to favorite I can only pick by genre, but my top three anything for books and movies are Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and anything Ann Rice writes about.
Apply To Be An Eco-Rep Leader
Eco-Rep Leaders are hired every semester!
What We Are Looking For:
- Students with a passion for environmental, social and economic topics
- Students that are engaging and not afraid to present or speak in front a group
- Students that exemplify qualities of leadership, motivation and dedication
- Students with an open schedule, especially during the day on Wednesdays.
Expectations and Requirements: Eco-Reps are leaders and peer educators for students, staff and faculty at Coastal Carolina University as well as for the community. Each Eco-Rep has the expectation to represent the sustainability through a variety of means, including academic presentations, campus meetings, special events, educational sessions and environmental campaigns. Eco-Reps are expected to devote their time to educate their peers, foster sustainable behavior and build community. Each Eco-Rep Leader will be required to attend weekly meetings, conduct campus and community presentations, help plan and execute special events, be a resource for sustainability at CCU and connect with departments on campus to help in making their efforts more sustainable.
What You Will Gain:
- Develop events and programs for students on adopting sustainable behaviors
- Professional development, leadership and peer education skills
- Creation of awareness programs, event planning and management skills
- Knowledge of environmental and social topics
- Experience of working with other passionate students
- Opportunity to collaborate with campus and community organizations
- Opportunity to attend regional and national conferences
- Assist Sustain Coastal in major events, such as farmers markets, athletic games, move-in and Campus Salvage