Facilitating Undergraduate Research Excellence
The Office for Undergraduate Research, directed by Rob Young, is housed in Sand Hall 111, under the auspices of the Provost. It strives to facilitate research experiences for undergraduates with University faculty members across the disciplines, advocates for increased undergraduate research opportunities, and showcases Coastal undergraduate research outcomes.
The Office for Undergraduate Research assists students in:
- Planning for an undergraduate research experience;
- Identifying faculty mentors and projects;
- Defining research goals;
- Presenting and publishing research findings; and,
- Seeking funding for their research.
The Office for Undergraduate Research helps University faculty by:
- Inviting them to post their undergraduate research opportunities on this website;
- Encouraging them to submit their students' research citations on our "For Faculty" page
- Offering assistance in preparing grant proposals for funding department-based undergraduate research opportunities;
- Providing support for the inclusion of research projects in undergraduate courses.
The Office for Undergraduate Research maintains a list of undergraduate research opportunities during the summer and beyond the University, in addition to a list of local and national conferences. In addtion, the Office promotes and facilitates ways for undergraduates to participate in research with faculty and to have access to undergraduate research opportunities by:
- Creating initiatives that expand research opportunities;
- Providing a public forum for students to present their work; and,
- Assisting faculty to integrate undergraduates into the knowledge-making process.
Rob Young is a member of the Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR). The mission CUR is to support and promote high-quality undergraduate student-faculty collaborative research and scholarship.
Save the Date
BigSURS 2015 (Big South
April 10-11, 2015
Buies Creek, North Carolina
Abstract Deadline: TBA (opens Nov. 1, 2014)
Early Registration Deadline: March 23, 2015
National Council for Undergraduate Research (NCUR)
April 16-18, 2015
Eastern Washington University
Abstract Deadline: December 2, 2014
Office for Undergraduate Research
Sands Hall 111