Article VII: WIPL Board and Standing Committees
A. Responsibilities of the WIPL Board include setting dues, approving budgets, convening meetings, conducting business and voting, reporting on the goals and projects of the organization, and promoting WIPL to the community.
B. The Board provides a solid structure for the following:
1. The Board holds a fiduciary role. It is responsible for reviewing and monitoring accounts and approving spending
2. The Board will propose, create and draft initiatives in support of the WIPL Mission
3. The Board will implement and evaluate ongoing and new initiatives that support the mission
4. The Board reviews and approves any proposed changes in the scholarship program and ensure that the
5. Organization fulfills the intentions of its donors
6. The Board reviews and approves any proposed changes in Membership structure
7. The Board reviews and approves any activity or event which is associated with the CCU WIPL name, to ensure alignment with its Mission
8. The Board assigns, coordinates and monitors the work of its standing and ad hoc committees
C. The WIPL Board will consist of the elected and appointed officers and liaison(s), Immediate Past President and Chairs of the Standing Committees. Chairs of the Standing Committee will have voting rights, will give reports and bring issues and ideas to the group. The Immediate Past President serves in an advisory role as a non-voting ex-officio member of the Board.
D. A quorum shall consist of a simple majority (half the Board, plus one) in order to conduct official business.
E. WIPL Standing Committees:
1. Chairs of the Standing Committees will be elected from among the committee members at the initial meeting, or upon expiration of Chairs’ terms.
2. The term for a Standing Committee Chair is one year.
3. A Standing Committee Chair may serve two consecutive terms.
4. The following Standing Committees are advisory to the WIPL Board and also function as described below:
a. Membership Committee
- While each member is encouraged to invite and sponsor new members, the Membership Committee will serve to focus on recruitment and retention of WIPL members by expanding membership opportunities, welcoming all members’ guests, and providing them with information regarding the organization. The committee will also periodically review membership categories as necessary and make recommendations to the WIPL Board.
b. Program Committee
- The Program Committee may suggest special projects and events, such as a speaker’s series and other events that promote fundraising to facilitate the goals of WIPL. This committee also may arrange for special guest speakers for meetings as requested by and coordinated with the WIPL Board.
c. Scholarship Committee
- The Scholarship Committee will handle all aspects of the WIPL scholarship process, including: review criteria, read and vote on applications, announce scholarship recipients. WIPL encourages interested members to consider development of more scholarships that may meet the needs of students in specific majors or other unique circumstances. The committee will ensure that the policies of the gift agreements related to scholarships are administered properly.
d. Nominations Committee
- The Nominations Committee will be responsible for soliciting and vetting potential candidates for Officer positions, both for unexpected vacancies and for normal election cycles. The Nomination Committee will recommend a slate of officers for a vote by the membership. This committee will also keep track of current officer terms and alert the Board when elections are needed.
e. Conference and Celebration Committee:
- The Conference and Celebration Committee will handle all aspects of the annual leadership conference and celebration. This committee will have several sub-committees to ensure the planning and execution of these events. The committee will ensure all aspects of the conference are approved by the executive director and follows CCU protocols.
AD hoc committees will be named, as needed, by the WIPL Board.