Walmart Foundation awards $25,000 grant
"Coastal Carolina's Women in Philanthropy and Leadership program is having a tremendous impact on our community," said Steve Harvey, market manager for Walmart. "Not only does it provide more opportunities for students to afford an education through scholarships, but its efforts to support and encourage women leaders will help shape the future of our state." The funds will be used for the following objectives:
- Leadership Luncheon Series - Works to bring women both from within and outside of the University to address issues such as personal/professional development, philanthropy and stewardship, and civic engagement.
- Student Leadership Workshops - Provide opportunities for students to attend small group workshops with selected leaders. The grant will help provide fees for books and speakers.
- "Elect Her" Initiative - Encourages campus women to run for office. The grant will help expand this program into the community to encourage women to run for elected office.
- Girl's Leadership Initiative - Works with community partners to empower younger girls by increasing their self esteem and confidence. This initiative inspires girls to seek higher education while helping increase CCU student retention.
- Entrepreneurial Leadership Luncheons - Brings female entrepreneurs to campus to work with community women and students interested in starting small businesses.
- Educational opportunities in women's health and wellness.
- Global awareness of women's issues.
Women in Philanthropy and Leadership creates and fosters a community of women as philanthropists and leaders in support of Coastal Carolina University (CCU) and its educational foundations and practices. WIPL works to cultivate a sustainable legacy to transform the leadership potential of students, staff, faculty and the community into a vital resource for leadership development and recognition.