These are some examples of soil erosion caused by stormwater runoff:
Waccamaw Riverkeeper volunteer Rick Rickenbaker balances a load of trash collected from Kingston Lake Swamp on his kayak.
Waccamaw Riverkeeper volunteer and Middle Squadron Leader Mike Todd rests with part of the trash pulled out of Kingston Lake Swamp.
Mercury Contamination in Fish
- 90% of SC DHEC fish consumption advisories in SC are for coastal rivers
- Fish in the Waccamaw River have highest mercury levels
- Mercury comes from fossil fuel burning
- Transported from the atmosphere into water
- Passed up the food chain
- Causes neurological problems, IQ defecits, heart disease and birth defects in humans
Wash out from drainage ditch emptying into Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway creates new sand bar, obstructing boat traffic.