Swain Scholars Program
What is the Swain Scholars Program?
Students selected to be Swain Scholars work with Coastal Carolina University faculty and community agencies to research health-related issues and implement community health programs. Swain Scholars receive scholarships up to $5,000 per year based upon academic and financial criteria, for a total of four semesters. Each year students are selected through a competitive process that includes a faculty committee interview. This unique scholarship program is made possible by a generous donation from retired Myrtle Beach pharmacist Kenneth E. Swain.
- Application deadline for the 2019-2020
Thursday, Feb. 28, 2019
- Sharon Thompson, Ed.D., Ed.S.
Professor of Public Health
Swain Hall 147
Who is eligible to apply for the Swain Scholars Program?
Students interested in becoming a Swain Scholar must:
- Be a sophomore with three completed semesters at Coastal Carolina University and be majoring in:
• Exercise and Sport Science
• Public Health
- Have a GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Submit an application that includes:
• A brief resume
• An academic transcript
• A recommendation letter from a faculty member familiar with your course work
• A personal statement to include: your interest in community health efforts, previous involvement with community health, future plans in the health science/prevention/advocacy area, and why you should be chosen as a Swain Scholar
Once chosen as a Swain Scholar, what are the requirements?
Swain Scholars will be working to improve the health of our community; therefore, will enroll in a total of six course credits (Junior and Senior years: 1 credit each Fall and 2 credits each Spring – SWNS 301, 302, 401 and 402) to plan health outreach programs, conduct health science research and become involved in the community through implementation of these programs. To maintain status as a Swain Scholar, all students must earn a "B" average or higher in SWNS 301, 302, 401 and 402 and maintain an overall GPA of 3.25.
Where do I submit my application and when is the deadline?
Please contact Sharon Thompson in Swain Hall 147, via email email@example.com or 843-349-2635. The application deadline is Thursday, Feb. 28, 2019.