In This Section


Here you will find a list of frequently asked questions from international students just like you. If you can't find your question here, please feel free to contact us at and we will be happy to help.

  • »

    What majors do you offer?

    You can see the full list of our majors and concentrations on our Academics page.

  • »

    How do I know if I should apply as an international student?

    Coastal Carolina University considers you an international student if you are a citizen of any nation other than the United States of America. You are not considered an international student if you are: a dual U.S. citizen, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident, non-immigrant with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) status, refugee/asylee, or a U.S. citizen living abroad.

  • »

    Is there an application deadline?

    CCU has "rolling admission" deadlines. This means that we accept applications and admit qualified students as long as there is space available in the program. Our recommended application completion dates are June 1st for Fall applicants and November 1 for Spring applicants. For priority scholarship consideration, recommended application completion dates are March 1 for Fall applicants and October 15 for Spring applicants. Learn more about our dates and recommendations.

  • »

    Are international students eligible for financial aid and scholarship consideration?

    Financial aid is government money that is available only to qualified U.S. citizens and permanent residents. However, CCU offers merit-based scholarships to qualified students, including international freshman and transfer students with no application required for award consideration. There are also non-resident tuition waivers available for some citizens of sister-states or designated cooperative zones in which students are eligible to receive.  

  • »

    Can I study part-time?

    No, international students cannot study part time. U.S. immigration law requires that all international students on F-1 student visas maintain full-time enrollment. To be considered full time, undergraduate students must be registered for a minimum of 12 semester credits. Graduate students must be registered for a minimum of 9 semester credits to be considered full time.

  • »

    Does the Coastal Carolina University offer conditional admission?

    Yes, CCU offers conditional admission to undergraduate and graduate students who met academic coursework requirements, but need English language training.  CCU partners with ELS Language Centers to offer conditional admission. The CCU ELS Language Center is located on Coastal Carolina University campus.

    Benefits of completing your Conditional Admission requirements at ELS: an opportunity to enroll in CCU after completing the EAP ELS Level 110 (undergraduate) or EAP Level 112 (graduate), access to CCU facilities, and no additional application or English Proficiency test required. Please visit the ELS Myrtle Beach for more information. 

  • »

    Are there any exceptions to the TOEFL requirement?

    CCU does not require the TOEFL if you have graduated from a recognized official native English-speaking country. 

    Students are also exempt from the TOEFL if they submit a certificate of completion of Level 110 (undergraduate) or Level 112 (graduate) from the ELS Language Centers Academic English Program, score of 6.0 on IELTS, score a 550 or above on the Evidence Based Reading section of the SAT, score a 21 or above on the English and Reading portion of the ACT,  or submit official reports from the list found in our English Language Proficiency Exemptions.

  • »

    Are international students required to take the SAT or ACT?

    International Freshman students who graduate from an official native English-speaking country are required to take the SAT or ACT. Also, submitting official test scores from the SAT, ACT, and any other tests found in the English Language Proficiency Requirements make you eligible for merit based scholarship consideration.

  • »

    What is Coastal Carolina University's Insitutional Codes for submitting test scores?

    The institutional code for TOEFL and SAT is 5837. The institutional code for ACT is 3843. There is no institutional code for the IELTS. 

  • »

    Will Coastal Carolina University accept a GED in place of a high school diploma or degree?

    Yes, Coastal Carolina University will accept a General Educational Development (GED) test in place of a high school diploma for admissions purposes. However, at this time, Coastal Carolina University only accepts the U.S. version of the GED and the official test score must be sent directly to the Office of International Admissions.

  • »

    What is the difference between sending official and unofficial transcripts?

    Unofficial Transcript
    An unofficial transcript is one that may not bear a school seal, but contains all of the relevant academic information of a student. Photocopies of transcripts are considered unofficial. Transcripts that are sent to Coastal Carolina University via e-mail are considered unofficial, but can be used for international admissions decisions.

    Official Transcript
    Official transcripts bear the school seal and include the school Registrar's signature. Most official transcripts are sent to the Coastal Carolina University in a sealed envelope directly from the original school, or via an accepted secure electronic delivery method. Once an official transcript is received by CCU, it becomes the University's property and cannot be returned or sent to another institution.

    Learn more about transcripts and sending them

  • »

    Do my application materials need to be translated?

    If your application materials include any documents that are not in English, you must provide an official English translation in addition to the original documents. Students can search for translators on the internet. Before sending documents and payment, ensure that the company can certify its translations. 

  • »

    Do I need to send my transcripts through a foreign translation/evaluation service agency?

    Coastal Carolina University does not require credential evaluations for secondary school credentials. However, International Transfer students who have attended post-secondary educational international institutions/colleges/universities outside the U.S, are required to submit, in addition to the original transcripts, a professional course-by-course with GPA credential evaluation of all work completed through a certified credential service provider. For more information please visit our Official Transcripts and Related Documents page.

  • »

    When do I need to provide my Confidential Financial Statement?

    Documents required to process the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility are not necessary for admission. Students are welcome to submit their documents at any time, however the financial statement and Affidavit of Support must be dated within six months from the date of I-20 issuance to be valid. The required I-20 documents do not need to be “official” and therefore can be scanned and sent directly to

  • »

    Why is the passport copy needed?

    Submitting a copy of your passport is critical because it ensures that your name on your I-20 exactly matches your name on your passport. Note: Your passport must be valid for at least your first 6 months in the United States. You can then work with your Embassy or Consulate to get it renewed.

  • »

    What should I do to get a student visa?

    Most international students attending CCU hold student (F-1 or J-1) visas. After you are admitted to CCU, you will receive a Notification of Admission and a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 Form). In order to obtain a student visa, present the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 Form) to a United States embassy or consulate. The U.S. Department of State offers more information about obtaining a student visa.

    If you are currently attending a college or university in the United States, you must obtain a new Form I-20 from Coastal Carolina University. Be sure to complete the Transfer Clearance Form from the Office of International Affairs. Your SEVIS record must be released from your former school to Coastal Carolina University. If you have specific questions about student visas, you can contact the SEVIS coordinator at the Office of International Scholars and Services.

  • »

    Can I defer my offer of admission?

    If a student is accepted for their enrollment term, they may request to have their application deferred for another semester should they need to change their semester term. The deadline to defer your application for the Spring term is September 15th, and for the Fall term is January 31st. Follow the instructions to complete the Request for Deferred Admission Form to be returned to Should an accepted student miss the deadline to defer their application for another semester term, they will need to reapply for another term. If a student requests to change their intended start term and did not submit all required materials for admission consideration, they will not be eligible to defer and will need to reapply for another semester term. The application fee is a one time non-refundable fee.

  • »

    How do I register for orientation and classes?

    Admitted international students must complete the Next Steps to Enrollment before they are able to register for International Student Orientation or sign up for classes. Please visit our enrollment page to see a full list of the next steps for admitted students.