Honors First-Year Advising - Coastal Carolina University
In This Section

Welcome to Honors Advising!

Advising is an important part of the success in college. Each honors student will be assigned a professional adviser in the Honors College for their first year at Coastal. In addition, each student will be assigned an honors faculty advisor. After the first year, students will transition from a first-year advisor to a major advisor but will keep an honors faculty advisor for as long as they are in the Honors Program.

Each adviser has a different role, but the same end goal: graduation.

First-year Adviser: Your first-year adviser’s role is to work with you to ensure your AP/IB/Dual Enrollment credits have been received and applied to your degree appropriately, to discuss your academic goals and degree plans, to review academic policies and procedures, to help you choose and register for courses, and to connect you to campus resources.

Honors Faculty Adviser: Your honors faculty adviser’s role is to ensure that you understand and are keeping up with the requirements of the Honors Program.

Major Adviser: Your major adviser’s role will be to continue the primary (first-year) adviser role in helping you navigate your major requirements as well as discuss post-graduation options.

Frequently asked advising questions:

How do I know who my advisor is?

You can easily find out who your adviser is via WebAdvisor. In the Students menus under the Communication heading, there is a link titled 'Email My Adviser' that allows you to view your academic advisers' name and email address. You can also view your adviser's name at the top of your Program Evaluation.

Where is the First-Year honors advising center?

Honors First-Year Advising Center
Kearns Hall 213A

How do I set up an appointment with my adviser?

In order to set up an appointment with your adviser, you should first check if he/she has available appointments through our scheduling system WebAdvisor. Here are the steps to do so:

  • After logging in to WebAdvisor, click on the blue Student menu.
  • Click on "schedule an appointment with faculty or staff" under the Academic Planning heading 
  • Select HTC Honors College from the Department drop-down menu
  • Select your assigned adviser from the Faculty or Staff drop-down menu 
  • Choose a time that works best for you to schedule an advising appointment 
    • Please note whether the appointment you have selected is virtual or in-person. If the appointment is virtual, you will be emailed a meeting link.

If your adviser has no appointments listed, contact them via email.

How do I know when my adviser has walk-in hours?

Walk-in hours for advisers vary each semester. Walk-in hours for Honors First Year advising are emailed on a weekly basis and are posted on your adviser’s webadvisor scheduling calendar as blocks of time greater than 1 hour. You do not need to schedule an appointment during walk-in times, you just need to show up at the location (Kearns 213 or Zoom if virtual walk-ins).

What are the requirements for graduating from the Honors Program?

The requirements are detailed on the Honors Requirements page.

How do I make changes to my schedule and/or major?

Speak with your adviser by either emailing them, setting up an appointment via webadvisor, or attending a walk-in session.

What is my GPA?

GPA stands for Grade Point Average. Two different GPAs are calculated for you each semester once final grades come out. One is your semester GPA, and one is your cumulative GPA. Semester GPA is a combination of all grades in courses from that semester only. Cumulative GPA is a combination of all grades across semesters, for however long you have been at CCU.

The Grade Point Average is determined by dividing the total number of Grade Points by the total number of Grade Hours.

GPA = (Grade Points) ÷ (Grade Hours)

Grade Points are calculated by multiplying the number of credit hours assigned to a course by the value of the grade earned in the course. A=4.0, B+=3.5, B=3.0, C+=2.5, C=2.0, D+=1.5, D=1.0, F, WF and Fx = 0.

Grade Hours are calculated by adding the credit hours of all courses with an earned grade.

Only grades of A, B+, B, C+, C, D+, D, F, WF, and Fx are used in the calculation of Grade Hours, Grade Points, and the Grade Point Average. Grades of I, S, U, W, and AUD do not affect Grade Point Average.

Choosing Classes:

Here's some information to help you make the right choice when choosing one of our various course types.  

How to distinguish between an honors course and a general course:

Honors courses are identified in one of three ways:

  • HONR prefix such as HONR 101. These courses are only designated for students who are in the Honors Program.
  • With an H at the end of the course number AND the beginning of the section number, such as VPA* 103H*H01. These courses are only designated for students who are in the Honors Program. 
  • With an H at the beginning of the section number, such as BIOL*121*H1. Classes with only the “H” at the end of the beginning of the section number are open to all students. The “H” lets the honors student know that he or she may take the course for honors credit. The courses designated with the “H” are general courses, but they are cross-listed as an honors course. This means that honors students and non-honors students are in the same class, but honors students will have different requirements. Honors students in these classes should speak with the professor regarding the coursework and expectations.  

A class that is strictly a general course is a course without the HONR prefix and that does not end with an “H” in the course number. 

How to distinguish between a distances learning and a lecture course:

Distance learning courses are taught primarily online, rarely requiring the student to physically attend a class.  Students will receive their course material and complete their assignments through Moodle unless otherwise directed by the professor. Sections for distance learning courses are designated with the letter “D” in the section number, and state that they are distance learning courses in the course description.  For example, JOUR*201*D2 will be a distance learning course while JOUR*201*02 will be an in-class, lecture-based course.   If you are looking to enroll in a distance learning course through WebAdvisor, set the location of the course to “Distance Learning” in the course search menu.  This will search all the distance learning sections available for any courses that you entered into the course search. Please be aware that distance learning courses generally have a $25 distance learning lab fee.

Here are other types of courses offered at CCU:

Hybrid courses are courses that are considered "blended courses." Unlike traditional courses which usually meet face-to-face and unlike distance learning courses which usually only meet online, hybrid courses are a mixture of the two. In hybrid courses, half of the instruction is received face-to-face and the other half of the instruction will be received online.

Fall I, Fall II, Spring I, and Spring II courses run concurrently with semester-long courses. They are shorter courses that only last eight weeks. However, these shorter courses generally require more discipline because these shorter courses cover the same amount of material as would a semester-long course, but in a shorter amount of time. Fall and Spring I classes start at the beginning of the semester and finish around the midterm period. Fall II and Spring II classes begin around the midterm point of the semester and finish at the semester's end.    

Summer I and Summer II courses are courses that are taken over the summer. Summer I usually lasts for five weeks, typically beginning in June and running through the first week of July. Summer II courses typically begin the second week of July and run through the first week of August.