In This Section


Internship How-To

1: Secure an internship

  • Polish your resume and search for opportunities on JOBLink powered by Handshake.
  • Meet with a career adviser or attend a PDA for help with internship search strategies, resume review and interview tips.
  • Your current part-time or full-time job may qualify for internship credit.

2: Submit an experience for approval on Handshake

  • Once you have secured an internship and completed the online experience form, a career adviser will confirm your employment details and approve your internship.

3: Receive Academic Credit

  • After your experience has been approved, a career adviser will email you to verify your internship course enrollment.
  • You may qualify to receive up to 12 academic credits for your internship experience. *This is determined on an individual basis based on major, GPA, credits earned and total anticipated work hours.

Authorization for International Students

If you have an F-1 or J-1 non-immigrant visa status, you must first obtain the necessary CPT authorization to engage in off-campus employment through the Office of International Programs. Make sure to declare this status when submitting your experience for approval so your career adviser can begin to process the necessary paperwork.

Internship Position Standards

An internship position should meet the following qualifications:

1.   Allow you to explore a potential career and/or a particular industry

2.   Provide opportunities for you to build analytical, technical and interpersonal skills

3.   Include three specific and measurable learning objectives

4.   Not entail more than 30 percent clerical work

5.  Be supervised or mentored by a paid professional within the organization

6.  Require a minimum of 60 work hours per academic credit

Contact Us

For questions about general career development and alumni career services, please contact Career Services.

For questions about PDAs, please contact Melinda Tavernier.

For questions about internship course registration and receiving academic credit, please contact Ellen Hayward