10+ Years of Steps to Success
The Each 1 Teach 1 Entrepreneurship Institute developed steps to help local youth succeed. Each 1 Teach 1 has developed the following steps to success:
- Life and Entrepreneurial Skills Development: Rising ninth and tenth graders who are accepted into the program will participate in a two-week summer program that will help them develop life skills such as creating goals, dealing with stress, working in groups, and managing time. They will also participate in a two-week summer program (on alternate summers) that will teach them entrepreneurial skills such as thinking creatively, marketing ideas, budgeting, and negotiation. The participants will be called interns, work in groups called companies, and present a business plan at the end of each program.
- Leadership Development: Rising eleventh graders who participate in the institute will be called employees and will be required to complete a two-week leadership development program in the summer. The program will teach participants how to organize groups, brainstorm ideas, delegate tasks, and other important leadership skills.
- College Preparation: Twelfth graders who participate in the program will be called managers and will be required to participate in a monthly program offered by the Biddle Center for Teaching, Learning & Community Engagement that will help them prepare for the SAT/ACT, decide on a major, apply for financial aid, etc.
- Leadership Challenge: Participants who are admitted to Coastal Carolina University will become leaders. They will be expected to participate in Coastal Carolina University’s Leadership Challenge, which is offered through the Office of Multicultural Student Services and to apply their leadership skills in university and community organizations.
- Brown Scholars: Some of the leaders will become Brown Scholars. They will work for the Each 1 Teach 1 Entrepreneurship Institute by delivering the summer programs and by mentoring interns and employees.
- Institutional Support: Participants who complete the program by graduating from college will become investors. Program alumni will be encouraged to financially support the institute, help train the scholars, and make presentations in the program.