Accessibility and Disability Services
ADS Registration for Academic Accommodations
This process is intended for use by incoming or current Coastal Carolina University students with a diagnosed disability. Please note, accommodations cannot be applied retroactively. Contact Accessibility and Disability Services with any questions regarding the following process.
There are four steps of registration:
A. Register through Accommodate
B. Login to Accommodate
C. Add Documentation (if not added in registration process)
D. Schedule an Initial Accommodation Meeting
A: How to Register in Accommodate
- Click ‘Click here to register with ADS through Accommodate’ hyperlink on the bottom of the page.
- Fill out the information on screen and click ‘submit’ on the bottom of the page.
- NOTE: If documentation is not easily accessible, please complete this registration form and submit documentation at a later date. Documentation can be mailed, emailed, faxed, and hand-delivered to ADS. Please visit the ADS website for contact information. (Ex. IEP, 504 Plan, Psychoeducational Evaluation, Medical Diagnosis)
- Continue on to Step B to learn how to login to Accommodate
B: How to Log in to Accommodate
- Open a web browser (Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer)
- Go to this URL: https://coastal-accommodate.symplicity.com/
- Click on Student (or Faculty)
- Enter your Coastal Carolina email and password
- Click the ‘Go’ Button
- Continue on to Step C to learn how to add documents in Accommodate (If you have added documentation during step A, you do not need to complete step C, please continue on to step D)
C: How to Add Documents in Accommodate
- Log in to Accommodate
- Click on the ‘Documents’ tab at the top of the page
- Locate the ‘+ Add New’ button on the bottom of the page
- Select the type of document you are uploading. Label it with your last name, followed by the type of document ( ex. LAST, supporting medical).
- Click Submit.
- Continue on to Step D to learn how to schedule and Initial Accommodation meeting.
D: How to schedule an Initial Accommodation Meeting
- Log in to Accommodate
- Click on the ‘Appointment’ tab on the top of the page
- Select the dropdown box to find the Appointment type
- Select ‘Initial Accommodation’ Meeting
- Please select a time and date that is most appropriate for your personal schedule.
Housing and Meal Plan Accommodations
In commitment of furthering the laws of the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504’s clarification, Coastal Carolina University will work to accommodate those with documented disabilities.
Those who would like to request housing or meal plan accommodations based on a documented disability or medical condition should do so by registering with ADS through our general registration process. All documentation must be submitted through the online Accommodate portal. Steps for registration can be found above.
Documentation should be current and comprehensive in light of the request and consist of an evaluation by a qualified professional that describes the current functional impact of the medical condition or disability as it relates to the housing or meal plan modification or accommodation requested. The deadline for requesting housing and meal plan accommodations is June 1 for Fall Semester and December 1 for Spring Semester. Accommodations requested after these deadlines will be substantially less likely to be reasonably made.
For students that are seeking an emotional support animal as an accommodation, they must also submit the following Support Animal Provider Form, along with their documentation.
The submission of documentation does not in any way guarantee an exemption or accommodation.
Accessibility and Disability Services may request additional documentation if the information submitted appears to be outdated, inadequate in scope or content, does not address the student’s current level of functioning or substantiate the need for modifications or accommodations. Please note, primary diagnoses of ADHD, allergies, or general anxiety are not typically approved for housing exemptions, modifications or accommodations. Food allergies will be considered for meal plan modifications which cannot be reasonably accommodated by Campus Dining Services.
Documentation provided will be used by Accessibility and Disability Services staff to administratively review and evaluate the request. Staff will render a decision regarding the needed accommodations based on:
- Maximum level of integration into university housing and the meal plan
- Information and recommendation provided by the diagnosing professional
- Potential effectiveness of the accommodations.
Students will be notified via Coastal email of the administratively approved accommodations and steps to implement those accommodations within 10 working days of receipt of a complete request. If the requested accommodations are denied by the Accessibility and Disability Services staff, students have the right to appeal to the Housing and Meal Plan Accommodations Appeals Committee (HMPAAC). This committee is made up of CCU professionals with expertise in various disabilities and accommodations. The HMPAAC will carefully review requests, maintain strict confidentiality, and is entrusted with the authority to make the final decision on the request. The role of the HMPAAC is to review students' requests and to approve, partially approve or deny these requests. The HMPAAC may also defer a decision based on a need for additional information.
Questions regarding the process may be directed to Accessibility and Disability Services at 843-349-2503.
For More Information:
Accessibility and Disability Services, Coastal Carolina University