Rights and Responsibilities
For CCU Students...
- Accessibility and Disability Services
Kearns Hall 106
P.O. Box 261954
Conway, SC 29528-6054
- 843-349-5042 (fax)
Every student with a documented disability has the following rights:
- Access to courses, programs, services, jobs, activities and facilities available through the University.
- Reasonable and appropriate accommodations, academic adjustments and/or auxiliary aids determined on a case-by-case basis that do not fundamentally alter the nature of the course or program.
- Appropriate confidentiality of all information pertaining to their disability with the choice of whom to disclose their disability to, except as required by law.
- Information reasonably available in accessible formats.
Every student with a disability has the following responsibilities:
- Meet the University's qualifications and essential technical, academic and institutional standards.
- Identify themselves in a timely manner as an individual with a disability when seeking an accommodation. Accessibility and Disability Services recommends that students submit the documentation discussed within these guidelines/process at least 14 calendar days prior to the start of the course or exam for which the student seeks accommodations.
- Provide documentation from an appropriate professional source that verifies the nature of the disability, functional limitations and the need for specific accommodations.
- Follow the documentation guidelines and registration process for obtaining reasonable accommodations.
- Contact Accessibility and Disability Services to schedule your initial accommodation set-up appointment.
- Once accommodations have been determined, notify each instructor via the Faculty Notification Form at the beginning of each semester of your identification with Accessibility and Disability Services and the approved accommodations.
- Meet the deadlines established by Accessibility and Disability Services for the following processes: scheduling of tests, exams, quizzes, requesting assistance, arranging with the faculty member for delivering the exam, auxiliary aids and services, etc.
For Coastal Carolina University...
Coastal Carolina University has the following rights:
- Maintain the University's academic standards.
- Request current documentation from a student completed by an appropriate professional source to establish the need for reasonable accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids.
- Discuss a student’s need for reasonable accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids with the professional source of their documentation, as needed. The student's signed consent will be needed to authorize such a discussion.
- Select among equally effective and appropriate accommodations, adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids in consultation with students with disabilities.
- Not support a request for accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids that is inappropriate or unreasonable, including any that:
a. Pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others;
b. Constitute a substantial change or alteration to an essential element of a course or program; or
c. Pose undue financial or administrative burden on the University.
Coastal Carolina University has the following responsibilities:
- Ensure that University courses, programs, services, jobs, activities and facilities, when viewed in their entirety, are offered in the most integrated and appropriate settings.
- Provide information regarding policies and procedures to students with disabilities and assure its availability in accessible formats upon request.
- Evaluate students on their abilities, not their disabilities.
- Provide reasonable and appropriate accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids for students with disabilities upon a timely request by the student.
- Maintain appropriate confidentiality of records and communication concerning students with disabilities except where disclosure is required by law or authorized by the student.
Accessibility and Disability Services has specific responsibilities to:
- Determine eligibility for participation of students with disabilities in the academic accommodations process based upon a review of appropriate documentation.
- Ensure students with disabilities who self-identify and meet University criteria for eligibility to receive reasonable and appropriate accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids as based upon the individual's need.
- Ensure confidentiality of all information pertaining to a student's disability.
- Inform students with disabilities of University policies and procedures for filing a formal grievance through the Informal ADA Grievance Policy, the Formal Grievance Procedure and/or through external agencies (e.g., Office of Civil Rights).
- Interact with faculty as is appropriate to to implement and support accommodations.
The faculty has specific responsibilities to:
- Discuss with Accessibility and Disability Services any concerns related to the accommodation(s) or arrangements that have been communicated by the student via the Faculty Notification Form.
- Faculty determine the conditions under which their general exam is administered and not the ultimate manner in which they are administered. Accessibility and Disability Services may consider open book, use of notes, formula sheet, etc. as reasonable accommodations.
- Collaborate with Accessibility and Disability Services in facilitating the appropriate accommodations.
- Assure the timely delivery of the exam, along with all necessary instructions and materials for proper administration, whenever the exam is to be administered by Accessibility and Disability Services. The faculty member may also make arrangements with the student for the delivery and return of the exam.