Certificate in Online Teaching and Training
The Certificate in Online Teaching and Training is a 12-credit 100 percent online graduate program that provides opportunities for educators and trainers to develop advanced competencies in designing, developing, delivering and managing online learning and performance improvement in education, business, government, healthcare, military and other professions. Teaching certification is not required for admission. Certified teachers employed full-time in South Carolina public schools are eligible for special tuition rates as low as $276 per credit hour and may qualify for the add-on Online Teaching Endorsement from the S.C. State Department of Education.
Admission requirements for the Online Teaching endorsement curriculum:
- Completion of the application form and payment of the $45 application fee.
- Transcripts - You must submit an official transcript from every institution you have attended. Receipt of a baccalaureate or any higher degree must be clearly indicated on the transcript from the awarding institution. Official transcripts are those sent by the registrar of a college or a university directly to the Office of Graduate Studies. The Office of Graduate Studies does not order transcripts from any institution.
- Official Scores - No tests are required for admission to the Online Teaching Certificate program.
- Application Deadlines
The Office of Graduate Studies admits non-degree students on a rolling basis. However, course registrations typically fill well in advance of each session. Prospective students are therefore encouraged to complete the non-degree application process at least two weeks prior to ensure course availability.
Certificate Program in Online Teaching and Training Admission Requirements
Admission to Study
for graduate study should be directed to the Office of Graduate Studies at Coastal Carolina University.
Applicants for admission to the Certificate in Online Teaching and Training program must meet the following criteria:
- Completion of the application form and payment of the application fee.
- Evidence of having received a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution in this country or its equivalent at a foreign institution based on a four-year degree program.
- Submission of an official transcript from each post-secondary school or college previously attended (all prior undergraduate academic study must be represented as well as any graduate study).
- Submission of a written statement of educational and career goals, including how this certificate program will contribute to realizing those goals.
Three required courses (9 credit hours)
- EDIT 604 Teaching with Technology (3)
- EDIT 650 Teaching and Learning Online (3) (Prereq: EDIT 604)
- EDIT 660 Advanced Online Teaching (3) (Prereq: EDIT 650)
One elective course from the following (3 credit hours):
- EDIT 610 Instructional Design and Tech. Integration (3)
- EDIT 620 Technology Planning and Management (3)
- EDIT 630 Development of Instructional Multimedia (3)
- EDIT 640 Instructional Video Production (3)
Graduate Programs Manager
Spadoni College of Education
Coastal Carolina University
Prince Building 212
P.O. Box 261954
Conway, SC 29528-6054
This 12 credit curriculum is approved by the South Carolina State Department of Education; students completing the four courses are eligible to apply to the SDE for this new add-on certification.
You can also find more information at To learn how to apply, visit