Admission to the M.A. in Writing
To be admitted to the M.A. in Writing program applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally or nationally accredited institution and have two of the following three credentials:
1. A minimum 3.3 GPA in 18 hours of undergraduate or graduate coursework in English or related discipline
2. A minimum 500 in the verbal portion of the GRE or a 4.0 in the GRE Written Assessment (Test scores must be no older than 5 years at time of application.)
On the revised GRE, a score of 150 in the verbal portion or a 4.0 in the GRE Written Assessment.
3. A satisfactory rating awarded by the graduate committee to a 20-page writing sample
The final deadline for admission to the program for the Fall semester is May 15.
All applications must first be processed by the Office of Graduate Studies before they can be reviewed by the Graduate Committee in the College of Humanities and Fine Arts. Applications should be completed online and then printed, signed, and delivered to the Office of Graduate Studies with a $45 nonrefundable fee. In addition to a completed application, applicants must also submit transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended, along with two letters of recommendation (to be mailed separately by recommenders). Submission of a 20-page writing sample is also required unless the applicant has both:
- 3.3 GPA in 18 hours of previous coursework in English or related discipline (as evidenced in transcripts) and
- acceptable GRE scores (minimum of 500 in the Verbal portion or 4.0 in Written Assessment portion.) Applicants who choose to have GRE scores considered with their applications are responsible for making sure official GRE scores are sent to the Office of Graduate Studies at Coastal Carolina University.
Click here for an application and complete instructions.
Click here for information about Graduate Assistantships.
Additional questions should be directed to:
Director of the M.A. in Writing