HCHEC Scholarship for the Study of War and Society
Application Required - Deadline is March 15
This scholarship is awarded annually to an Horry County high school senior who plans to major or minor in history or neighboring disciplines in the humanities. Preference will be given to applicants who plan to integrate their interest in war and society into their academic program and subsequent careers.
Study of War and Society Requirements:
- Achieve a minimum 2.5 high school GPA through the junior year;
- Be an Horry County resident and high school senior (the Horry County high school must be accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools);
- Be admitted to Coastal Carolina University;
- Complete and submit the scholarship application to Coastal Carolina University by published deadline;
- Write an essay of at least 1,500 words that answers the question: How can mass or social media best be used in building or maintaining peace or in managing conflict? and
- Have an Adult Coordinator who will represent them and provide guidance, ensure the essay is conceived and written by the student, and that the essay meets contest requirements.
Award Amount: $2,500 annually for up to four years or eight semesters (renewal criteria must be met annually). Recipients must be enrolled full-time at Coastal Carolina University.
- Be enrolled fulltime;
- Complete a minimum of 30 credits annually (includes summer terms if needed); and
- Maintain a cumulative CCU GPA of 2.5.
You can view the application by clicking: HCHEC War and Society Application
Beginning each January, applications will be available to all accepted CCU students via WebAdvisor. After logging into WebAdvisor, click on the link "Apply for Application-based Scholarships" to apply. Applications will be reviewed by the HCHEC Scholarship Committee. The number of new awards may vary annually.