The CCU Fulbright Council
Meetings will resume in Fall 2021 with dates announced in late summer. All are welcome!
The mission of the CCU Fulbright Council is to support Fulbright application and programming activities at CCU for students, faculty and staff as a part of enhancing the internationalization of our campus community.
The CCU Fulbright Council is open to all CCU faculty and staff members who are interested in supporting Fulbright programming (for both/either students and faculty). All are invited to participate whether you have had a Fulbright, would like to get one, or would like to know more about how you can help encourage your students to apply for Fulbright grants!
Current Members of the CCU Fulbright Council
- Stephanie Cassavaugh, Director, Sponsored Programs and Research
- Megan Cevasco, Associate Professor, Biology
- Subhajit Chakraborty, Assistant Professor, Management and Decision Sciences
- Mariam Dekanozishvili, Assistant Professor, Political Science
- Darla Domke-Damonte, Professor/Associate Provost for Global Initiatives
- Russell Fielding, Assistant Professor, HTC Honors College and Center for IDS
- Ronald Green, Associate Professor, Philosophy & Religious Studies, Asst. Director ILRC
- Roi Gurka, Associate Professor, School of Coastal and Marine Systems Science
- Jeffry Halverson, Associate Professor, Philosophy & Religious Studies
- Angelos Hannides, Assistant Professor, Marine Science
- William Hills, Professor, Psychology
- Yun Sil Jeon, Associate Professor, Languages & Intercultural Studies
- J. Kay Keels, Professor, Management
- Carmeleia (Kay) Keene, Lecturer, Wall College of Business
- Patience L. Kotwa, Coordinator, Foreign Languages Instructional Center
- Pamela Martin, Professor, Politics & Geography
- Maggi Morehouse, Professor, History / Burroughs Distinguished Professor of Southern History and Culture
- Victoria Pickett, Assistant Professor of Graphic Design, Visual Arts
- Tripthi Pillai, Associate Professor, English
- Paul Richardson, Professor, Chemistry/Physics
- Sherer Royce, Associate Professor, Health Sciences
- Michael Ruse, Associate Professor, Philosophy & Religious Studies
- Karen Sauls, Senior Lecturer, Marketing and Hospitality Resort Tourism Management
- Emma Savage-Davis, Professor, Middle Grades, College of Education
- Gary Schmidt, Professor/Chair, Languages and Intercultural Studies; Director ILRC
- Erika Tritle, Assistant Professor, Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Leslie Wallace, Assistant Professor, Visual Arts
- Keith Walters, Professor, Marine Science
- Casey Woodling, Senior Lecturer, Philosophy & Religious Studies
- Robert Young, Professor, Marine Science / Interim Dean, Graduate Studies
Key Fulbright Programs
The main Fulbright programs are shown below:
- Fulbright Student Program Information – Over 900 awards for research/study grants in over 140 countries and over 1,200 awards for English language teaching assistant positions in more than 75 countries are available annually.
- Fulbright Faculty Program Information – Over 800 grants in more than 125 countries are awarded to U.S. faculty to participate in a variety of programs, such as the Core Fulbright Scholar Awards, International Administrator Awards, Fulbright Specialist Awards, Fulbright Global Scholar Award, or Fulbright Arctic Initiative Awards.
- Fulbright-Hayes Group Projects Abroad Information - Develop a group project around a specific theme and get partial support for its costs abroad.
- Fulbright Outreach Lecturer Fund Information – Bring current international Fulbrighters in the USA to Coastal Carolina University for a short stay to enhance programming at CCU with transportation costs covered by Fulbright headquarters! Take a look at the directory to see who is available and bring your suggestions/requests to the CCU Fulbright Council.
- Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence - Brings talented scholars from around the world to teach on campus.
- Fulbright Language Teaching Assistant - Brings scholars to teach languages in US institutions for an academic year.
- International Education Administrators Seminars Abroad - Sends US higher education administrators involved in international education to selected areas of the world to advance cooperation.
Critical Deadlines (Most recent or already publicized upcoming deadlines are noted below):
- Faculty Fulbright Cycle Applications are Due: September 15, 2021
- Student Fulbright Cycle Applications are Due (internal CCU deadline for mentoring, review, and on-campus screening interview): September 17, 2021
- Student FINAL Deadline for National Submission (must have participated in the internal review process and screening): October 12, 2021 5:00 pm Eastern
Nominate a CCU Student to be mentored for a Fulbright Grant!
The CCU Fulbright Council will support advising for CCU students interested in applying for a Fulbright grant. Each spring we will send out a call for nominations and reach out to those students to share the encouragement and nomination of the CCU community member who nominated them, and we will also provide training and information to each to support their application.
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Darla Domke-Damonte, Associate Provost for Global Initiatives
(Fulbright, 1989-91 Slovakia; Fulbright Group-Hayes Project - 2003 Poland)
or stop by the Office of Global Initiatives in Lib Jackson Student Union, A109.