Community Living Guide and License Agreement - Coastal Carolina University
In This Section

Community Living Guide and License Agreement

Message about Resident Guests

As of March 1, 2021, CCU has transitioned to Phase 2 of the Coastal Comeback plan. Review the following information on an update to the Guest Policy during Phase 2.

  • University Visitors
  • What is Allowed in Phase 2
  • Guest Policy
    • On-campus residents are permitted to be guests in other on-campus spaces. Non-resident guests are still prohibited.
    • Only one guest is permitted per bedroom at a time. Roommates are expected to coordinate guest invitations to avoid overlap.
    • Overnight guests are not permitted.
    • Guests must be escorted at all times.


Community Living Guide

Living on campus while you are in college is an invaluable experience, and the same holds true for Coastal Carolina University. It offers the opportunity to meet like-minded people who have similar interests and to meet people entirely different from you. It gives you real-life experience living both in a community and with roommates. It teaches you what it means to be responsible for your own place of living. It is comfortable, convenient and fun.

Living in CCU housing also means that you agree to abide by policies belonging to University Housing and the University at large. Below is a thorough guide to University Housing's policies by which all residents are expected to abide.

2020-2021 Community Living Guide

University Housing License Agreement

The University Housing License Agreement is an academic year agreement for fall and spring semesters. Summer semester is separate from the academic year. You will have an opportunity to review and agree to it online through the online housing application. Below is a copy of the current University Housing License Agreement.

2021-2022 University Housing License Agreement

License Agreement Release Request Process

Are you a resident thinking about leaving CCU? Are you just looking to move off campus? Then you came to the right place. Please carefully review the information below and decide if you should schedule a meeting with your Community Coordinator (CC).

Remember that when you checked into your assigned space you assumed the financial responsibilities enumerated in the license agreement for the full academic year regardless of whether or not you actually live in the assigned space. Meeting your CC is the only way to know for sure what your next step should be. If you currently live on campus, you are unable to apply for a housing exemption for the current license agreement term.

For Residents Leaving CCU:

If you withdraw from all classes and leave the University – including properly checking out of your assigned space – you will automatically be released from the license agreement in accordance with its terms. You will complete the Intent to Vacate form in MyCoastalHome to notify our office of your intent to leave. You should make an appointment with your Resident Adviser (RA) to properly complete the checkout process including reviewing the room inspection and turning in your key.

You must checkout of your assigned space within 24 hours of withdrawing from the University and all housing fees are due immediately. You can calculate your estimated financial obligations by using your anticipated checkout date plus a license agreement release fee of $400. More details are explained in section 12, paragraph C of the University Housing License Agreement.

For Residents Continuing at CCU (i.e. you are still enrolled in class during the current academic year):

For release requests related to a medical reason, consult the Accessibility and Disability Services website for more information and the appropriate forms. For all other reasons, continue reading the information below.

Your CC will evaluate your request for release and assist you in determining if the request involves an issue that can be resolved in one of our communities. If resolution is possible, your request will not be forwarded to Assistant Director for Assignments and Marketing (ADAM) and your CC will assist you. If the release request meets the criteria, your CC will forward your request – along with a cover letter explaining his or her involvement in your situation – to the ADAM. The ADAM will do an administrative review of the information and render a decision to you. The ADAM may also defer a decision based on a need for additional information.

If your request is denied by the ADAM, you do have the right to appeal to the License Agreement Appeals Committee (LAAC). The LAAC is comprised of staff from across campus who will carefully review your request, maintain strict confidentiality and are entrusted with the authority to make the final decision on your request. The role of the LAAC is to review residents’ requests and to approve, partially approve or deny these requests. The LAAC may also defer a decision based on a need for additional information. The LAAC typically meets the first Wednesday of each month and any additional supporting documentation should be received no less than two business days prior to the meeting. Decisions made by the LAAC are final.

Requests will not be accepted more than 90 days after the start of semester for which you are requesting release. You will receive written notification of the ADAM’s or LAAC’s action within one week of receipt of all documentation. Below are these are the criteria the ADAM and the LAAC will utilize to take action:

  1. The resident must have encountered a significant problem;

  2. The problem is out of the control of the resident or the resident’s family;

  3. The problem must have been unforeseeable by the resident and the resident’s family at the time the license agreement was signed or agreed to;

  4. The problem must involve the resident’s living arrangements and the resident must have worked with University Housing staff to attempt resolve the problem; and

  5. The alternative living arrangements being sought will relieve or reduce the impact of the problem in a material way that University Housing remedies cannot.

These are the typical problems in which the CC will not forward your request on:

  1. Roommate issues or behavior in your community. Residents are expected to resolve conflicts with one another or to relocate to another assignment with staff assistance.

  2. Requests to receive a full or partial refund following a Loss of Housing sanction for a violation of the license agreement or Code of Student Conduct. As per the  University Housing License Agreement, if you are removed for conduct reasons during the fall or spring semester you are responsible for the full semester housing fees whether or not you continue to be enrolled. If you remain enrolled for the academic year, you will be required to have a full residential meal plan.

  3. In almost every case, if you are well enough to attend classes and participate in other university activities, we believe you are well enough to live in your assigned space and fulfill your license agreement. Residents are expected to seek counseling or treatment from mental health or medical health care providers on campus or within the local community rather than seeking to live elsewhere. If you have a documented disability on file with Accessibility and Disability Services you may be eligible for an accommodation via the Special Housing Request process.

  4. Opportunities to save money because your relatives, including parents, are moving to the local community, purchasing a home in the community, you’ve found a cheaper living arrangement, or you are having difficulty paying for your assigned space and your off-campus residence simultaneously are not eligible to be forwarded to the ADAM or LAAC.

  5. A desire to move in to a fraternity, sorority, organization or team house during the academic year will not be grounds for release from your license agreement.

  6. Dropping to below full-time status or switching to all online classes.

After reviewing the information above, if you believe your situation warrants consideration of release you will complete the Intent to Vacate form in MyCoastalHomeWe encourage you not to make any arrangements of alternative housing until you have received a decision. Otherwise if you are denied, you will be responsible for two housing payments. You will be asked to upload a typed letter that answers each of the following eight questions explaining why you wish to be released from your license agreement. In addition to the letter you will upload any supporting documentation you believe is relevant to your CC for his or her review. While parent or guardian comments may be included, University Housing mandates that the primary response be your own. If the request meets the criteria for review, your CC will add his or her own cover letter and forward all your documents to the Assistant Director for Assignments and Marketing (ADAM). Completed requests are reviewed in order of the date received. You will receive a written decision to your CCU email account typically within a week of receipt of all documentation. 

  1. What do you want and what date do you want it to be effective?

  2. What is the significant problem you have encountered?

  3. How was this problem out of you and your family’s control?

  4. How was this problem unforeseeable by you and your family?

  5. What have you done to resolve the problem?

  6. When (and to what extent) have you consulted your CC regarding this problem?

  7. If your circumstances include financial need, provide documentation explaining your financial situation since you signed the license agreement with University Housing (e.g. medical bills, parent layoff/termination slips, court documents).

  8. If you are released from your license agreement, where do you intend to live and what will be the monthly charges for rent and utilities?

If you have any questions about this process please contact your CC and we hope we can keep you as a resident.

Related Links

Contact Information

‌  ‌  ‌

University Housing
Tradition Hall 135
8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
843-349-6400 (phone)
843-349-6425 (fax)

Township Circle Desk

Elvington Loop Desk

University Place Desk

University Housing creates a foundation of care for resident safety and success.