Room Selection 2023-2024
For New Students
We are excited to have new Chanticleers apply for housing in MyCoastalHome. New students have the opportunity to select a space in the following communities: Eaglin, Ingle, The Woods, Chanticleer, DeCenzo, Singleton-Young, and Tradition. You will be able to select your space online. We will send you reminders throughout the process, so make sure you check your CCU email often.
2023-2024 Room Selection Timeline
- February 7 - Housing application opens in MyCoastalHome
- April 14 - Deadline to apply for Special Interest Housing
- April 21 - Sea Floor, TEACH Community and Business Community application decisions communicated to CCU email no later than this date
- May 15 - Application deadline to participate in online room selection
- May 25 - Timeslot notification emailed
- June 1 - Online room selection for Special Interest Housing based on assigned timeslot
- June 5-7 - Online room selection based on assigned timeslot
- June 12 - Prior to opening room change process open in MyCoastalHome
- June 16 and beyond - Continuously assign late applicants and required students without an assignment
- July 31 - Prior to opening room change process closes
- September 4, 11:59 p.m. - Last day to change fall meal plan
Housing Application Deadline
New students who complete their housing application by May 15, 2023 will be issued time slots for online room selection. Students applying for Special Interest Housing will need to complete their application by April 14, 2023 for full consideration in the SIH community of their choice. See the Special Interest Housing section for more details.
We do not use the application complete date to order students for room selection time slots, so there is no rush to complete your application immediately. How do you know you have completed the application? You will receive an email to your @coastal.edu email upon completion in addition to the notification in the application. As long as the application is complete by May 15, you will have the opportunity to select your space online.
Completing Housing Application After Deadline
Students who complete the housing application after May 15, 2023 will not be eligible for Online Room Selection and will be manually assigned by University Housing. We will use a combination of your community preferences, roommate preferences, answers to the lifestyle questions, and available spaces to make your room assignment. You will receive an email to your @coastal.edu address when you have been assigned.
Housing and Meal Plan Requirement (STUD-336)
First- and second-year students who graduate from high school within two calendar years prior to entering CCU are required to live on campus and purchase a residential meal plan. Local students living with a parent or legal guardian at their permanent address within 50 miles of CCU are automatically exempt from the requirement. Students who do not apply for housing and are required to live on campus will be randomly assigned and billed for a space and meal plan. More details about the policy (STUD-336) and reasons a student can request an exemption are on our website.
Applying for Special Interest Housing
University Housing partners with several departments to offer living communities based on interest or major. Students interested in Special Interest Housing (SIH) should complete the housing application and the SIH questions, where applicable, by April 14 for full consideration. Students who apply after April 14 will be considered if spaces remain available. Please be aware being accepted into a SIH community will override your roommate requests unless your requested roommate(s) were also accepted to the same community.
The following SIH communities require a request, which includes answering three questions, for the department to review. Answers to the SIH questions will be submitted during housing application process, and decisions will be communicated shortly after April 14.
Students accepted to one of the following academic programs are automatically accepted as long as the housing application is completed by April 14.
Application and Roommate Search
Starts February 7
The application and roommate search phase includes verifying your student information, reviewing and acknowledging understanding of the housing license agreement, making the non-refundable housing application and prepayment (a combined $200), answer lifestyle questions, selecting your meal plan and, if you’re interested, applying for Special Interest Housing.
In addition you and your peers are allowed to search for roommates and accept roommate request invitations. MyCoastalHome will allow you to review other students’ profiles (created by answering the lifestyle questions) and communicate with potential roommates to determine compatibility before inviting them to be in your roommate group. Please be aware by joining a roommate group and being accepted into one, you are granting members of your roommate group to select your space. You will need to know their “Screen Name”, which is the part of the CCU email address before the @ symbol, to request them to join your group. Roommate groups should be finalized PRIOR TO time slot notification, so you can select rooms for your entire roommate group. Only roommate requests that are mutual will be considered.
Check out our video to see what the process looks like.
Online Room Selection
Starts in June
The room selection phase allows you to select your room. Only students who complete the application by May 15, 2023 will receive a time slot and be eligible for online room selection. At your assigned time slot you can log into MyCoastalHome and see the available spaces. If you are part of a roommate group, only one student in the group should log in to select the spaces for each member. We encourage you to talk with everyone in your group to understand everyone's preferences and have several options in case your first choice is full.
Check out our video to see what the process looks like.
Room Change Process
Prior to Opening
Once you have a housing assignment, you have the ability to change your room before you arrive in August. You may change your assignment through July 31. Follow these simple steps to make a change:
- Log into MyCoastalHome.
- Click on Apply for Housingand select Academic Year 2023-2024.
- The process is similar to the room selection process. Before you commit to a space you can view the profile(s) of the student(s) already assigned there to see if it would be a good match.
- Once you find a room, click on it and confirm the room assignment.
- You are unable to change the room assignment of anyone in your group. If your preferred roommate wants to change with you, they will follow the same steps.
- Students accepted into a Special Interest Housing community (e.g., Honors, SEA Floor) are only eligible to select spaces within their assigned community.
- Spaces will become available as we receive cancellations and other students change their assignment, so what you see as available now may be different tomorrow.
After July 31, all room changes will be frozen until approximately two weeks into the semester after we have confirmed our no shows and verified occupancy. The fall room change process is tentatively scheduled to open on September 6.
Release Prior to Occupancy
Students not required to live in University Housing or students not registered for classes starting in fall semester may cancel their housing application and request release from the license agreement through MyCoastalHome. All cancellation requests will be reviewed. If approved, the $50 housing application fee and $150 housing pre-payment are non-refundable. Click here to learn more about how to cancel your housing application.
Township Circle Desk
Elvington Loop Desk
University Place Desk
University Housing creates a foundation of care for resident safety and success.