Classification and Compensation
Fair Labor Standards Act
- Tiffany Kovacs
U.S. Department of Labor
The U.S. Department of Labor has prepared the following resources to help you better understand overtime rules and how they affect higher education institutions.
- DOL FAQs – Get answers to some of the most common questions regarding the new overtime rules.
- DOL Fact Sheet: Overtime Final Rule (PDF) -This document provides a list of key provisions of the Final Rule.
- DOL Guidance for Higher Education Institutions (PDF) – Take an in-depth look at the background on FLSA white collar exemptions, categories of job occupations in the higher education sector which fall under these exemptions, and suggestions on how to determine the best options to ensure compliance with the new rules.
- DOL Fact Sheet for Higher Education (PDF) – This document lists the types of higher education jobs which may be affected and/or unaffected by the new rules, and provides some options to ensure compliance.
- FLSA Overtime Security Advisor – This link provides fact sheets and information regarding the various exemption tests.