Preparing for an Advising Appointment
Now that you have scheduled the appointment, it is now time for you to prepare for it. In preparing for an advising appointment, it is essential that you do the following:
1. Decide the reason you are going for advisement.
Be it preregistration, dropping a class, adding a class, academic guidance, or college and career advice, knowing the reason you need an advising appointment helps you get the most out of the time you spend with your advisor. Once you know the exact reason you have scheduled your appointment, you will know how to prepare. For instance, if you are preregistering for an upcoming semester, you may want to check out upcoming classes and begin drafting a class schedule; if you are seeking partnerships with faculty to increase your knowledge base about possible career options and mentorships in the field, it may be best to write down particular interests within the field and alternative paths you may want to take so that your advisor will hone in on possible faculty/staff connection quickly.
2. Develop questions for your advisor.
The more questions you ask, the more you know and the more you’ll get out of your college experience. Your advising appointment is the perfect place to ask where to go to pursue internships and study abroad opportunities. It is also a great idea to gain insight from your advisor about academic challenges you are currently facing, time management and study tips, class recommendations, four year plans, and questions about your program evaluation. The advisor’s office is also the place to ask questions about majors and minors, and the place you may go to help ease the transition to CCU.
3. Keep your appointment, or email if you can’t.
Your advisors here in the College of Humanities and Fine Arts are always happy to assist you and look forward to working with you. If you cannot make it to your advising appointment, please take a moment to let us know and we will be happy to schedule you for another time.
How to Schedule an Advising Appointment
- Log into WebAdvisor using your student username and password.
- Search for the Academic Planning tab. Once you have located it, click Schedule Advising Appointment link.
- Using the dropbox on the next screen, select the college your advisor is associated with.
- On the next screen, select your advisors name from the list of advisors.
- Your advisor’s calendar will appear with their available time slots for advising.
- Select the time slot that best suits you.
- On the final screen select Schedule Appointment. Please note that your appointment is not schedule unless you follow through with the last step.
Click How to Schedule an Advising Appt on WebAdvisor to download instructions with images.
After You've Scheduled Your Appointment
- Preparing for a Pre-Registration Appointment
- Preparing for an Advising Appointment