Assessment and the Core Curriculum
Core Course Assessment
Courses in the Core Curriculum are assessed on a biennial basis. Results are repored by Departments to the Director of Core Curriculum.
2017-18 (2019-2020, 2021-2022…)
Core Goal 1B Critical Reading, Writing, and Information Literacy
Core Goal 1D Quantitative Literacy
Core Goal 2A Scientific Concepts
Core Goal 2C Humanistic Concepts
2018-19 (2020-2021, 2022-2023…)
Core Goal 1A Critical Thinking
Core Goal 1C Communication Across Cultures
Core Goal 2B Human and Social Behavior
Core Goal 2D Artistic Expression
Value Rubrics for Assessment
Based on American Association of Colleges and Universities (AAC&U) Liberal Education and America's Promise VALUE Rubrics, these rubrics align with the student learning outcomes from the worksheets. The rubrics below (pdfs) provide a model for assessment by providing common levels of student proficiency. While the language of the rubrics may be adapted by departments to reflect discipline specific terminology, having shared benchmarks of student learning will provide greater consistency in evaluating student achievement.
The rubrics are an essential part of the assessment and reporting process.
- Critical Reading Writing and Information Literacy Assessment Rubric
- Critical Thinking Assessment Rubric
- Communicating Across Cultures Rubric
- Quantitative Literacy Assessment Rubric
- Scientific Concepts Assessment Rubric
- Human and Social Behavior Assessment Rubric
- Humanistic Thought and Expression Assessment Rubric
- Artistic Expression Assessment Rubric