In This Section

Transfer Students and Core Curriculum

Use the Program (Academic) Evaluation form in WebAdvisor to review progress towards completing the Core Curriculum.

Students may have taken courses at other institutions that satisfy the Core Curriculum. These courses may not transfer in as core courses. Transfers may works with their advisors to submit a “Exception for Core Curriculum” petition to ask for credit for previously completed courses.

Does My Transfer Course Work for the Core? answers basic questions about the types of courses that can be petitioned.

Petition Process for Transfers is an overview of the process.

Worksheet for Transfers lets you identify courses that are candidates for the petition process.  

Another option is to work with your advisor to complete a "Transfer Credit Evaluation Adjustment" form. This is most appropriate when a course comes in as an elective course, but you and your advisor feel it should have come in as a CCU course.


1. Why are ARTS 102 or THEA 101 satisfying Core Goal IId (H) Artistic Expression?

ARTS 102 and THEA 101 were replaced by VPA 103 beginning in Fall 2017. However, transfer courses in ARTS or THEA evaluated in 2016-17 were not assigned to VPA 103. As 2017-18 is the transition year to the new core, these courses are now accepted as a substitute for VPA 103.

2. Why are HIST 101, HIST 102,  HIST 112, HIST 125, HIST 126, HIST 152, HIST 200, or HIST 202 satisfying Core Goal IIB (F) Human and Social Behavior or Core Goal IIC (G) Humanistic Thought?

History course numbering changed in 2017-18. Transfer courses in HIST were evaluated in 2016-17 under the existing course numbers. As 2017-18 is the transition year to the new core, these courses are accepted into the equivalent areas in the 2017-18 core.

3. I have a Bachelor's Degree, why I do I have to complete the Core Curriculum?

Transfer students with an earned B.A. or B.S. degree are exempt from the Core Curriculum. Students with other types of Bachelor's degrees may not automatically be exempt and may need to request an exemption.  Complete the "Core Curriculum Exemption" form with your advisor.

Transfer Students with an Earned A.A., A.S., B.A., or B.S Degree, or International B.S. or B.A., or International Master's Degree (with 150 hours)

A student will be exempt from having to meet core curriculum requirements if the student is accepted to the University with an earned Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Baccalaureate of Arts, or Baccalaureate of Science degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S., with a baccalaureate degree from an accredited international institution of higher education, or with a master's degree (that requires at least 150 equivalent U.S. credit hours to complete) from an accredited international institution of higher education. View University Catalogs »

Director of the Core Curriculum
Margaret Fain
Reference and Instruction Librarian
Kimbel Library 106
Coastal Carolina University