Purchase Health Insurance
All international students and scholars and their dependents (F and J visa holders) are required to purchase health insurance.
You are required to provide proof of insurance at the beginning of every semester of enrollment (including summer, if enrolled). J visa holders must have health insurance the entire time they are in the United States, including when not enrolled in classes.
What are the minimum requirements?
Your health insurance must meet the following minimum requirements:
$100,000 USD Medical benefits (per accident or injury)
$25,000 USD Repatriation of remains
$50,000 USD Medical Evacuation
$500 USD or less Deductible per accident or per illness
What is proof of insurance?
You must submit, in ENGLISH, a letter, insurance card, or other document that verifies the following:
- Your name
- Date the coverage begins and ends
- Your coverage and the limits of coverage
Can I bring insurance from home?
Yes, you may bring health insurance from outside the U.S., but it must cover you while enrolled (F visas) or while inside the U.S. (J visas).
Where can I purchase insurance?
You may purchase health insurance from the provider of your choice; however, Coastal Carolina University has partnered with AIG student insurance to provide a plan that meets the above minimum requirements and has dental, vision, mental health, pharmacy, and preventative health care coverage, and meets all Affordable Care Act requirements. You can find more information about this plan here: http://www.studentinsurance.com/Schools/SC/CCU/. This insurance option costs approximately $1,000 per semester.
There are also many insurance companies that meet the minimum requirements and cover both students and scholars, but do not offer the range of coverage that AIG student insurance offers. These plans can be purchased beginning around $40 per month, per person, depending on age. Please visit their websites or call to determine the insurance policy that would best suit your needs.
- Cultural Insurance Services International, http://www.culturalinsurance.com/students/, 1-800-303-8120
- International Student Organization, https://www.isoa.org/, 1-800-244-1180
- Compass Benefits Group, http://www.compassbenefit.com/, 1-800-767-0169
- The Harbour Group, http://www.hginsurance.com/, 1-800-252-8160
- HTH Worldwide, http://www.hthtravelinsurance.com/students_plans.cfm, 1-888-243-2358
- International Student Health Insurance, http://www.internationalstudentinsurance.com/student-health-insurance/
Do I have to have insurance that complies with the Affordable Care Act?
If you are an Exchange Visitor (J visa) and you have been in the U.S. for three or more years or you are a student (F visa) and have been in the U.S. for five or more years, you may be subject to the insurance requirements mandated by the Affordable Care Act (ACA).