Exchange Students - Coastal Carolina University
In This Section

Exchange Students

Exchange students at Coastal Carolina University represent partnerships with universities in 15 countries.

There are opportunities for both EXCHANGE, SHORT-TERM STUDY and DUAL-DEGREE programs between your current institution and Coastal Carolina University. View a complete list of all of CCU's exchange program partners.

To apply, complete the International Exchange Student Application.

If you have questions regarding exchange students or the application process, please contact

Important Dates

Application Deadlines

Academic Year 2022-2023 (August to May): March 15
Fall Semester 2022 (August to December): March 15
Spring Semester 2023 (January to May): October 04

Academic Calendar

Fall 2022

  • Arrival Day: To be determined (Estimated August 13 – 14)
  • Orientation (required): To be detemrined (Estimated August 15 – August 19)
  • Classes Begin: August 22
  • Holidays: September 05, 30; Oct 01; Nov 08
  • Thanksgiving: Break: November 21- November 26
  • Final Exams: December 09-December 15

Spring 2023

  • Arrival Day: To be determined (Estimated January 03-04)
  • Orientation (required): To be determined (Estimated January 05-06)
  • Classes Begin: January 09
  • Holidays: January 16, April 07-08
  • Spring Break: March 06-11
  • Final Exams: April 28-May 04

Housing and Meal Plan Information

  • Housing information and the housing application may be found at
  • Housing for the semester breaks may require additional fees charged to the student.
  • We recommend you select one of the University Place communities (Low Country, Grand Strand, Sandhills, Piedmont, Blueridge) on your housing application. We CANNOT guarantee you will be assigned to your first choice of housing or that you will have a private room and bathroom. Assignment preferences are met whenever possible.
  • You are required to sign-up for a meal plan at the time of your housing application. You may choose to change or cancel your meal plan within the first two weeks after arrival. You can learn more about meal plans and eating on- campus at


International exchange students who want to study in the USA must obtain a J-1 visa. You must be accepted to CCU before you can start the visa process. For more information on obtaining your visa, please visit the US Embassy nearest you or the Study in the States website ( 


All students are required to have certain immunizations prior to arriving at CCU. You are asked to submit your immunization forms prior to your arrival. Please refer to the following website for specific information:

Health Insurance

All international students are required to obtain medical insurance. You can purchase insurance for approximately $40.00 per month. If your personal health insurance meets the minimum requirements, you do not have to purchase additional insurance.

You are required to submit proof of insurance with effective dates and coverage, in English, upon arrival. For more information, visit

Please be advised: Medical care is VERY expensive in the USA. If you have a medical emergency and do not have sufficient coverage, you may incur very large medical bills. We recommend you choose health insurance carefully. Your coverage should begin the day you arrive in the USA and end no earlier than the day after you return home. We do have a clinic on-campus where you can see a health practitioner for free for minor illnesses. Proof of insurance is required for these visits.

Minimum coverage for insurance as required by the United States Government are:

  • Medical benefits $100,000 USD
  • Repatriation of remains $25,000 USD
  • Medical Evacuation $50,000 USD
  • Deductible per accident or per illness: $500 USD or less

Course Schedules


Courses must be pre-approved by an advisor at the home institution and submitted to CCU with your application. All pre-requisites must be completed. We will create your schedule for you based on your requirements and course availability. Please be sure to include alternate courses with your application. Please identify any classes you are required, by your home university, to take while at Coastal with the term “required.” You must choose to enroll in at least 12 credits (Four 3-credit courses).

You can search the courses through WebAdvisor. To search for courses:

  1. Click on the blue “students” box.
  2. Click on “Search for Sections”.
  3. Select the “Term” you plan to study at CCU (example: Fall 2022 or Spring 2023)
  4. Click on the drop-down arrow under “Subjects” to view all the offered subjects.
  5. You do not have to choose anything under “Course Levels,” “Course Number,” or “Section.” Leaving these blank with show you more options.
  6. You may narrow your search using the time, day, instructor, etc. blocks. You will ONLY take classes on the CCU Main Campus.
  7. On the list of search results, you can click on the blue link under “Section Name and Title” to get more information about the course, including pre-requisites and course description.

Each class has a “section number.” This number indicates the day, time, location, and professor. Some course will have multiple sections offered at different days, times, etc. Some courses will have only one section.

Double Degree

Courses will be determined based on credits already earned at the home institution that are eligible for transfer to CCU. The Center for Global Engagement will work with the appropriate department to determine which courses are needed and a schedule will be made for you.

Additional Information

  • In the United States, textbooks are not included in your tuition and are very expensive. You should expect to spend between $600.00 and $900.00 per semester, depending on your courses. You can purchase or rent books at the on- campus store and online.
  • CCU is a tobacco free campus. This includes all areas of campus, including student housing. This means you will not be able to smoke anywhere on-campus.
  • The legal drinking age in the US is 21. However, CCU has very strict restrictions and policies regarding drinking alcohol on campus, including student housing. Please refer to the Code of Student Conduct for more information on this policy and the many other policies for students living on-campus or off-campus:
  • If you would like to obtain a South Carolina license, you will have to provide a translated copy of your driver’s license. We recommend obtaining an international license from your home country before coming to the U.S. You can only drive in the U.S. for 90 days after arrival with your foreign license.
  • CHANT411 is an office on campus that provides a lot of general information about campus to students, faculty, staff, and the community. Their website is here: