The information provided here is to help you with the most common immigration questions that arise for international students and scholars.
Maintaining Legal Status for ALL F and J Visa Holders
You are required to:
- Check-in every semester within 10 calendar days of the first day of classes.
- Report any changes in name, address, or phone number within 10 calendar days.
- Maintain a valid passport.
- Remain engaged in appropriate activities according to your DS-2019 or I-20.
- Seek authorization prior to accepting any employment.
- Report any changes of employment within 10 calendar days after employment is authorized.
- Maintain health insurance.
- Have your I-20 or DS-2019 signed prior to leaving the US for travel so you may be eligible for re-entry into the US.
- Refrain from and report any criminal activity.
Maintaining Legal Status for all F and J STUDENTS
You are required to:
- Remain full time which is 12 credits for undergraduate students and 9 credits for graduate students.
- Obtain authorization to drop below full time-time BEFORE doing so.
- Report being placed on probation or suspension and any other academic difficulties.
- Report any delay in completing your program BEFORE the expiration date on your I-20 or DS-2019.
- Report any changes to your degree program(s) or academic minors.
- Ensure that you are enrolled in at least 12 (undergraduate) or 9 (graduate) credits of traditional, in classroom, courseses before enrolling in any distance/online courses. (J-1 visa)
- Ensure that you are enrolled in at least 9 (undergraduate) or 6 (graduate) credits of traditional, in classroom, courseses before enrolling in any distance/online courses. (F-1 visa)
- You must make normal academic progress towards completing your studies.
Volunteering as F or J Student Information
All F-1 or J-1 Students who are considering volunteering must complete the “Volunteering as F-1 or J-1 Student Request to Participate in Volunteer Activity” form.
Due to many limitations that international students on F-1 and J-1 visas have pertaining to both employment and unpaid/volunteer activities, it is important to understand and follow the guidelines mentioned below.
Volunteer Activities MUST adhere to ALL of the following for all students in J-1 and F-1 status:
- Any volunteer activity that is intended to take more than 20 hours per week is not permitted.
- All volunteer activity must be done for a non-profit organization involved in civic, charitable, or humanitarian activity.
- Any activity overseen by a campus department or organization that takes place on CCU’s campus and is available to any student, regardless of their citizenship, but as a part of their student status at the university can be the site of volunteering.
- Activities sponsored by CCU clubs, organizations, or departments that are available to and encouraging of participation of a broad range of CCU student participants, may be excluded from the requirement of no in-kind remuneration, and allow for meals, transportation, housing and/or small gifts. Requests for this review must be provided to the PDSO/RO for Coastal Carolina University at least 1 week before participation. Such requests will be approved on a case-by-case basis and in the University's discretion.
Please complete the “Volunteering as F-1 or J-1 Student Request to Participate in Volunteer Activity” form, and return it to International Student and Scholar Services by email at email@example.com or drop it off at the Center for Global Engagement in Kearns Hall Suite 207 at least 1 week prior to intended volunteer activity.