During the 2016-17 academic year an ad hoc committee comprised of faculty, staff and students was formed to select peer and aspirant institutions. Peer and aspirant institutions are used for comparisons and benchmarking.
Peer institutions are those with similar characteristics to the University. Characteristics are selected from student, financial, faculty, and general categories.
- Florida Gulf Coast University
- Salisbury University
- Stephen F. Austin State University
- University of West Florida
- Valdosta State University
- Western Carolina University
Aspirant institutions are those with characteristics that the University endeavors to emulate.
- Appalachian State University
- James Madison University
- University of North Carolina - Wilmington
- University of North Florida
- Western Washington University