Instruction Services Department
Instruction Services supports the mission of Kimbel Library and Coastal Carolina University to prepare students for professional careers or graduate programs through a comprehensive program that includes individual research assistance, course-integrated instruction and credit-bearing courses to develop information literate students.
Information literate students have the ability to locate, access and evaluate needed information. They reflect on their discovery process, understand how information is produced and valued, ethically use information to create new knowledge and participate in communities of learning.
Instruction Services promotes information resources to the Coastal community by engaging in the development and application of transferable research skills that will contribute to self-directed discovery and the development of lifelong learning. (Approved February 2018)
About Reference Services
Reference Services provides prompt, courteous assistance in finding and using information. In order to best help patrons, reference service is available in person at the library or through online chat, text, email or phone. In person reference help is available at the Peter C. Bolton Help Desk during all hours the library is open.
The focus of Reference Services is on point-of-need assistance provided during library hours from a combination of librarians, staff and student assistants. In addition, research consultations with librarians are available for patrons who need more in-depth assistance.
About Library Instruction
The library instruction program, geared specifically to the research needs of Coastal students, offers one-credit courses, course-integrated instruction and online materials designed to teach students about accessing, evaluating and using information. The program draws on the wide range of resources available through the library - books, journals, electronic sources and non-print media to promote academic discovery and lifelong learning.
- Ask the Library: Unable to make it to the library? Use our Ask the Library service to connect with us through virtual chat, text, email or phone.
- Research Appointments: Book a one-on-one research appointment with a librarian.
- Instruction Services: Librarians offer one-shot information literacy courses, among other instruction services.
- Request Library Instruction: Librarians are available to conduct research sessions designed to meet the needs of a specific course assignment.
- Distance Learning: The library provides services for students and faculty, no matter their location.
- Research Guides: Created by Kimbel Library, our guides give you fast ways to find relevant, faculty-recommended resources for CCU research papers and projects.
- Tutorials: Learn about various topics such as research, finding resources, plagiarism, adding resources to course management systems and more with these library tutorials.
- Research Services: Learn more about the many services the library provides to help researchers excel.
- Find Your Library Liaison: Library liaisons provide specialized assistance in all areas of expertise that Coastal Carolina University faculty practice.