Distance Learning Menu
Kimbel Library Distance Learning Resources
Find Streaming Videos
Kimbel Library has an extensive collection of streaming videos for use in online classes. These films can be linked and embedded in Moodle and other online platforms. Click this Streaming Video link for a current list of resources. You will need to login with your Coastal username and password to access the databases from off campus.
Find Print and Electronic Books
To search for print or electronic books in Kimbel Library's online catalog
- Go to the library home page.
- Click the "Library Catalog" link beneath the search box.
- Type your keywords in the catalog search box.
- Press enter.
- On the results page, locate the "Limit by Format" option in the left column.
- Choose either "Book" or "eBook."
To view an e-book, choose "Retrieve Catalog Item" and then click on the link underneath the title that says "Electronic Book. Click here for access." If you are not on campus you'll be prompted to enter a username and password before you can view the e-book. This is the same information you use to log into your Coastal email and WebAdvisor.
Kimbel Library's print books are loaned for 21 days. There is no loan limit. If you would like to borrow a book that Kimbel Library does not own, you may borrow it from another PASCAL member library.
Find Online Articles
Kimbel Library subscribes to almost 200 online databases. These databases house electronic collections of over 60,000 journals, newspapers, reference books and videos.
Search Databases by Keyword: Databases are a great place to begin your research.
- Discover: Most of Kimbel Library's databases can be searched at the same time using the Discover! search box in the center of the library's homepage. Simply type in your keywords and press enter to view your results. Under "Source Types" you can limit your results to academic journals, magazines or newspapers. To view the full-text of an article, view the "PDF Full Text," "HTML Full Text," or "Linked Full Text" option beneath the article's citation.
- Database Finder: Search discipline-specific databases by clicking the Database Finder link beneath the Discover search box on the library's home page. Choose a specific database by title or view databases by discipline.
As with electronic books, you'll need to enter your Coastal username and password in order to access the databases from off-campus. You can print, save or email the journal article and citation.
You may prefer to use Google Scholar for your research. In that case, be sure to update your Google Scholar settings so you can access full-text articles that Kimbel Library subscribes to. Watch the following video to learn how:
Search for Specific Journals: Sometimes when searching for research materials, you may already know the name of the journal or journal article you'd like to find. If this is the case, you'll need to determine what database to search in order to find that journal or journal article.
- Click here or choose the "Journal Finder" link beneath the Discover search box on Kimbel Library's home page.
- Type the name of a specific journal.
Once you've found the exact journal you need, you can search within it for specific articles. You'll be prompted to enter your Coastal username and password before you can view the journals. Kimbel Library also owns approximately 200 print journal subscriptions. Older, bound journals may be loaned for 21 days. Current journals can be checked out by faculty for one day. If you would like to view an article that Kimbel Library does not own, you may place a request through Interlibrary Loan.
Database Do's and Don'ts
Coastal Carolina University signs license agreements to provide the university community with access to digital content. As a member of the Coastal Carolina University community, you are required to adhere to the terms of these licenses. Click the Database Linking image to the right to learn more (PDF).
Need help? We provide the ability to chat, email or phone a librarian using our online reference service Ask the Library.
Contact Ariana Baker, Scholarly Engagement Librarian, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-349-5001.
Please visit the Kimbel Library Tutorials page for detailed instructions about accessing Kimbel Library's books and articles. This page also includes the Kimbel Library instructional video series that covers basic research skills. Some of these videos were produced in support of University 110 and Biology 122, but may be consulted for general use as well.