Marine Chemistry Research
Areas of Research
- Biogeochemical cycling and speciation of metals (Angelos Hannides)
- Environmental chemistry (Jane Guentzel)
- Seasonal hypoxia (Angelos Hannides)
- Mercury and trace element biogeochemistry and ecotoxicology (Jane Guentzel)
- Biogeochemical cycling of coastal sands (Angelos Hannides)
- Water quality monitoring (Susan Libes)
- Jane L. Guentzel, Ph.D. (Professor) is a marine and environmental chemist whose research focuses on: 1) the biogeochemistry of mercury and other trace elements in aquatic systems, 2) the influence of atmospheric deposition and transport on the cycling of mercury and trace elements in these systems, 3) the influence of chemical speciation on the behavior of mercury and other trace metals in aquatic and atmospheric environments, 4) methods development for the analysis of mercury and other trace elements using ultra-clean techniques.
- Angelos Hannides, Ph.D. (Assistant Professor) The study of sandy habitats as a major ecosystem service provider, the advancement of autonomous biogeochemical observations of the marine environment, and the science-driven assessment and management of ocean health.