Add Your Faculty Bio
Coastal Carolina University
P.O. Box 261954
Conway, South Carolina
Malvin (Vin) Porter
Aggressive behavior in child and adults. Relationship and Marriage Education including human sexuality, interpersonal relationships, and conflict resolution.
Spadoni College of Education
Ph.D. in Educational Psychology from The University of Alabama in 2010
M.S. degree in Human Development and Family Studies from The University of Alabama in 2008
Ed.S. degree in School Administration and Educational Leadership from the University of Montevallo in 2001
M.S. degree in Science Education from George Peabody College of Vanderbilt University in 1976
B.S. degree in Biology/Chemistry from the University of South Alabama in 1972.
1. Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE) in Relationship & Marriage education from the National Council on Family Relations (2010), the University of Denver (2010)and the National PAIRS Foundation (2010).
Relevant Teaching Experience:
Since 2003, Porter has taught Educational Psychology and Human Development and Family Studies classes at The University of Alabama. Prior to 2003, he was a science teacher in both public and private schools in Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee.
1. Children’s social and moral reasoning in the context of bullying and victimization
2. Aggressive behavior formation in children and adults
3. Marriage, family and interpersonal relationships
4. Parent/child relationship influences on children's social/emotional development.
5. Moral development in family relationships and emerging young adults.
In 2010, Porter co-authored a chapter on family-level intervention with bullies and victims. In E. Vernberg and & B. Biggs (Eds.), Preventing and Treating Bullying and Victimization. Oxford University Press.
Porter has delivered numerous presentations on Aggressive Behavior in Children, Moral Identit, and Attitudes about Bullying among college students, school-age children and parents as well as Strategies that children might use if they were involved in bully/victim problems.
• National Council on Family Relations
• Smart Marriages Coalition for Marriages, Family, and Couples Education
• Society for Research in Child Development
• International Council for Attachment Parenting
• American Educational Research Association
• Association of Moral Education
Porter presents community educational seminars on Bullying and Victimization for children, parents, teachers in public/private schools as well as Marriage Education workshops for couples and young adults who are engaged for local community service groups.
Porter is actively involved in the United Methodist Church as a Lay Leader for Congregational Counseling and Marriage and Family Education. He enjoys refurbishing bicycles for children in need. His hobbies include sailing, scuba diving, bicycling, fly-fishing and outdoor education.
Porter is the recipient of several grants for doctoral research in the Department of Educational Psychology and Collaborative Leaning in Human Development and Family Studies at The University of Alabama.
He was the 2007 recipient of the Outstanding Doctoral Student, Human Development & Family Studies at The University of Alabama and the 1975 recipient of a National Science Foundation Scholar grant for teacher education at George Peabody College of Vanderbilt University.
Porter is married with three grown children who have families of their own. He is the grandfather of four all under 2 years of age (two boys, one girl and another little one due in November).