MFA for Students
Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is a security technology that helps protect and secure your CCU account with another layer of proof of your identity when you log in. When you log in using MFA, you will be asked to authenticate your identity using a second factor, either a cell number, alternate authentication phone, or by using the Microsoft Authenticator App on your cell phone.
Here's how MFA works...
- NEED HELP?
- Student Computing Services
Kearns Hall 113Online Request »Call 843-349-2908
First, you'll need to setup your account for MFA by clicking I'm ready to setup my account for MFA; in 30 minutes or less your account will be activated for setup. Then follow the steps below.
On the day your account has been activated for MFA, visit office365.coastal.edu and sign in with your CCU email address and password. Then click Sign in. A page that asks for more information will be displayed. Then click Next.
Secure your account by adding security verification. You will use the verification method you select to verify your account every time you log in to your email. You can change/edit/add options for your verification methods, if needed.
MFA Setup Method 1
A. Start by getting the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile phone or tablet. To find an authenticator app, search for Microsoft Authenticator in your app store and follow the directions on your mobile phone or tablet for installing the app. (If you are setting up MFA using your mobile device, you can utilize the download now option on the screen to open your app store.) After you finish installing the app, click Next.
B. Open the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile phone or tablet. As instructed, select Add account and then select Work or school account. Then, click Next.
C. On the Scan the QR code page, scan the displayed QR code with your mobile phone or tablet’s authenticator app, and then select Next. If you are unable to scan the QR code, select the Can’t scan image? option to get a code that you will be able to enter in the app.
D. Enter the code that will be displayed in the authenticator app and select Next. This will complete MFA Setup Method 1 (of 2).
MFA Setup Method 2
A. For the second authentication method, you will be asked to enter a phone number. Choose one of two options to approve your authentication by phone: Text me a code or Call me. Then, select Next.
B. Based on the option you selected in the previous step, you will either receive a code by text message or receive a phone call. Enter the code that you have received by text or if you set up to receive a phone call, answer the call to approve the sign in request. Select Next.
C. A message will be displayed that SMS or the phone call is verified. If you do not recieve a registered successfully message, try verification again. Select Next.
D. A screen will be displayed showing the setup authentication methods stating Success! Click Done.
E. When prompted if you would like to stay signed in, choose your preferred option. Please do not stay signed in on a public computer.
Manage/change/add authentication options for your MFA
- To add or edit your MFA and/or SSPR options and settings, please follow the steps located here: MFA and SSPR Guide (PDF) or visit https://www.coastal.edu/sspr.
- If you have changed your mobile phone number or lost/obtained a new device, you will need to contact Student Computing Services for assistance.
- To add the Microsoft Authenticator App to a mobile phone or tablet please follow the steps located here: Microsoft Authenticator App Instructions (PDF).
Authenticator App Tips
- The Microsoft Authenticator app is a good choice to use if you do not have optimal reception with your mobile phone service provider and/or if you plan to travel.
- To use the Microsoft Authenticator app, your mobile phone or tablet needs access to a wireless connection.
- You may need to uninstall and reinstall the Outlook app when setting up the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile phone or tablet.
- You can set your web browser(s) to remember you for 30 days. For further instructions, see Web Browser Settings (PDF).
For more information, support and resources, view MFA FAQs.
For assistance, contact ITS-Student Computing Services at 843-349-2220 or visit Kearns 113.