FAQs - Coastal Carolina University
In This Section

Frequently Asked Questions

If your question is not answered below, please do not hesitate to contact our office by email (orientation@coastal.edu) or phone (843-349-2027).

Do I have to attend Orientation?
Yes. It is required for all incoming students to complete an orientation program requirement. All incoming students are required to complete the asynchronous online orientation. Depending on your admittance term and status will dictate whether you attend a synchronous in-person or virtual orientation in June.  

Why is Orientation required?
Orientation is required in order to provide all new students with information about being a successful college student at Coastal Carolina University. You will learn specifics about the University’s academic requirements and all the campus resources available to you. If you do not complete your Orientation requirement, you will not receive a class schedule. 

Do parents or family members have to attend Orientation?
While they are not required to attend an orientation, we do encourage them to join us for the program. Throughout the orientation program, parents and families have a unique schedule that differs from the student schedule in order to provide both audiences with adequate information tailored specifically to their needs.

Are children allowed/encouraged to attend Orientation?
Children are more than welcome to attend Orientation. At both our New Student and Transfer Orientation programs, we have a unique program for any child aged 5-17 called Little/Future Chant Orientation. During this program, children will have the opportunity to explore and learn about campus with some of our Orientation Team Members.

Do I have to stay overnight for Orientation?
Any student attending the one day, on-campus New Student Orientation has the option of staying overnight in a campus residence hall the night before and/or the night after their on-campus session. The cost per-night is $35.

Do family members stay overnight on campus during Orientation? 
On-campus housing is not available for family members during Orientation. For hotel accommodations and information on the area, please visit http://www.visitmyrtlebeach.com/hotels/.

What if I want to change or cancel my Orientation Date?
To change or cancel your Orientation date, you will need to call the New Student & Family Programs Office at 843-349-2027. All orientation fees are non-refundable. If you decide not to attend CCU, you will also need to contact the Office of Admissions and Merit Awards at 843-349-2188.

Can I add a guest to my reservation? 
You can add guests by calling the New Student & Family Programs Office at 843-349-2027.  The fee for each guest is $20 and will need to be paid at the time of the call. 

Is there a deadline to register for Orientation? 
There is not a deadline to register but sessions do fill up on a first come first serve basis. Once a session is full, we will no longer accept registrations for that session. We do not maintain waitlists for any session. 

Why do I have to pay an Orientation fee, and what does it cover?
Your orientation fee covers the cost of dining, housing (if applicable), University facilities used during the program, publications, new student programming, and the salaries of the staff members. 

If I have already attended an orientation at another school, why do I have to attend one at CCU? 
When you become a new full-time degree-seeking undergraduate student at CCU, you are required to attend an orientation program. You may feel like you already understand the college environment and can register for courses, but it is important that you fully understand the unique policies, processes, and resources associated with being a student at Coastal Carolina University.

What do I do if I require special accommodations for a medical, physical, or disability-related need during my Orientation session?  Will the University be able to provide for parents/guests who need special assistance? 
The University will seek to provide appropriate accommodations for all incoming students as well as any parents or guests who attend New Student Orientation. When you reserve your spot for orientation, you will have the opportunity to request any accommodations you may need. Additionally, students should register with the Office of Disability Services before starting classes at CCU. More information about their office can be found here.

How do I register for classes?
If you are attending a New Student Orientation, you will meet with an advisor and get your class schedule at Orientation. Students who will be attending a one-day transfer orientation are able to contact their academic advisor after registering for Orientation in order to create your class schedule. Failure to complete your orientation requirement will result in your class schedule being dropped. 

What size sheets does my child need to stay in the residence hall (dorm) for Orientation? 
The beds in the halls are extra-long (not the standard) twin size.

When is move in day for students?
For fall 2019, incoming students will move in on Saturday, August 17, 2019.

How do I use my CINO card? 
The CINO Card is your college ID. The card is required to check out books, to use the recreation & convocation center, to obtain tickets for games and performances, and for class attendance. The CINO Card is also used for meal plans and CINO Cash.

Can my freshman have a car on campus?
All students can have a car on campus if they wish. They are required to purchase a parking decal to park on University property.

Where do I get a parking decal?
Students can purchase decals at Student Accounts or pay online at https://www.coastal.edu/services/safety_and_security/publicsafety/trafficandparking/. The decal is valid for the full academic year.

What immunizations do students need to have? 
Every student entering a South Carolina college or university is required to provide an immunization record prior to enrollment. Please follow this link for questions regarding immunizations and forms.  

What is my username and password?
Students can retrieve your username and password by using the online search

When are bills due?
The Office of Student Accounts does not issue paper bills. All billing is done through WebAdvisor. Each year, they post a grid on the Student Accounts website and on WebAdvisor that indicates when bills will be available online, when payments are due and when the first financial aid disbursement of each semester will occur.