Nursing Completion (B.S.N)
Because the Bachelor of Science in nursing completion program at Coastal Carolina University is not a traditional program leading to nursing licensure, students admitted to the program must have:
- An active license as a registered nurse (R.N. in South Carolina or reside in a compact state with multistate privileges).
- Graduated from an accredited nursing program with a grade of 'C' or better in all nursing courses.
Policies and Requirements
Students must earn a grade of 'C' or better in each course used to satisfy the major course requirements. All students will be required to complete a practicum while taking NUR 410 Community Health Nursing and NUR 420 Nursing Leadership and Management. A minimum of 30 credit hours of the required 120 credit hours must be taken at Coastal Carolina University to achieve a Bachelor of Science degree in nursing.
Requirements for Practicum Courses
- Current BLS certification for infants, child and adult.
- Negative criminal background check and negative drug screen are required for any practicum course.
- Students must meet the health, immunization, and education requirements of any practicum agency.
- Current health insurance and liability insurance are required for NUR410P and 420P.
- The above requirements must be current at the time submitted and remain current during the duration of the practicum courses: NUR 410P and NUR 420P.
The curriculum of the B.S.N. completion program is derived from our mission and the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) Essentials of Baccalaureate Nursing for Professional Nursing Practice (2008), the American Nurses Association (ANA) Scope and Standards of Practice, and the National League for Nursing (NLN) Competencies for Baccalaureate Nursing Education (2012).
B.S.N. COURSE REQUIREMENTS
For full course descriptions, view the Undergraduate Course Catalogs »
CORE CURRICULUM (38-40 credits)
GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS (3-7+ credits)
FOUNDATION COURSES (14-22 credits)
BIOL 232/232L* Human Anatomy and Physiology I/Laboratory (4 credits)
BIOL 242/242L Human Anatomy and Physiology II/Laboratory (4 credits)
BIOL 330/330L Microbiology/Laboratory (4 credits)
PUBH 304 Nutrition (3 credits)
STAT 201/201L* Elementary Statistics/Laboratory (4 credits)
Choose one from the following: (3 Credits)
EDUC 336 Introduction to Human Growth and Development (3)
PSYC 302 Developmental Psychology (3)
*These courses may also meet core curriculum requirements.
MAJOR REQUIREMENTS (62 credits)
Transferred ADN nursing courses (35 credits)
NUR 301 Transition to Professional Nursing (3 credits)
NUR 305 Health Assessment (3 credits)
NUR 305L Q Health Assessment Laboratory (2 credits/6 contact hours)
NUR 401 Transcultural Concepts in Nursing Care (3 credits)
NUR 410 Community Health Nursing (3 credits)
NUR 410P Q Community Health Nursing Practicum (2 credits/6 contact hours)
NUR 420 Nursing Leadership and Management (3 credits)
NUR 420P Q Nursing Leadership and Management Practicum (2 credits/6 contact hours)
NUR 424 Nursing Research (3 credits)
NUR 430 Health Care Systems Policies and Policy (3 credits)
ELECTIVES (0-12 Credits)
Elective credits beyond this maximum may be needed to obtain a total of 120 credits, depending on individual transfer credits and exemptions.
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
Wanda Dooley, D.N.P., R.N.
Director of Nursing, Associate Professor
Swain Hall 112