Membership Benefits & Clubs
- CCU Photo ID
- CCU Parking Decal (full-time CCU students are not eligible for this benefit)
- Kimbel Library privileges
- Discounted admission to cultural events
- Bookstore discount
- Golfing discount
- Selected free lectures and events
- Travel opportunities
- Clubs and special interest groups
- Discounts with Community Partners
- Participation in OLLI-sponsored clubs is free with OLLI membership
CCU Photo IDs are available at the centers on select days at the beginning of each semester and at Baxley Hall (100 Chanticleer Drive E., Conway) throughout the semester. Photo IDs will be available at the Litchfield Education Center on Tuesday, Jan. 23, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. or at the Myrtle Beach Education Center on Wednesday, Jan. 24, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Parking decals and expiration stickers are available at the outreach centers. OLLI members are responsible for observing all University regulations and displaying their parking decal when parking on the main campus and at the Coastal Science Center. Lifelong Learners (students, instructors and volunteers) attending classes and events at, or excursions departing from, the Coastal Science Center in Conway will need to secure a valid parking decal (required Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.). Parking decals are not required at Georgetown Education Center, Litchfield Education Center or Myrtle Beach Education Center.
OLLI members are encouraged to utilize Kimbel Library’s resources on Saturdays when the library is less busy. Enjoy on-campus access to public computers, online databases (including newspaper databases) and reference assistance. Members may also request a community borrower’s card for year-round checkout privileges. Library services information: 843-349-2400.
Admissions to most cultural arts events are discounted for senior citizens (65 and over) and OLLI members. (Click here for the Cultural Arts Calendar.) For ticket information, please call the Wheelwright Box Office at 843-349-ARTS (2787).
Lifelong Learners receive a 10 percent discount on school logo apparel and gifts with their ID at the CCU Bookstore; exceptions include textbooks, diploma frames, software/computer-related products/video games, sodas, snacks and candy.
The Hackler Golf Course provides a special OLLI rate of $30 plus tax per round (with cart) provides a $12 discount off the public rate ($42). Memberships are available at $1,150. This includes walking or a golf cart maybe rented for $18. Discounted practice balls will also be included with this membership. Tee times must be booked seven days in advance. 30% off in soft good and 15% off in hard good merchandise in the golf shop. For more information, call 843-349-6600.
Weekly Correspondence: Lifelong Learners with email addresses are sent weekly updates, which keeps them updated on events and schedule changes. Beginning Fall 2017, the OLLI e-newsletter will be sent out near the first of each month. We will send out OLLI updates on the other weeks to inform our students of the most recent additions, cancellations, and any other major events. Many opportunities arise during each term that are not finalized when the catalog is printed. To receive the weekly updates, email email@example.com from your account, leave the subject line blank, and in the body of the message, write "subscribe firstname.lastname@example.org". To unsubscribe, please use the same email address listed before, email email@example.com, leave the subject line blank, and in the body of the message, write "unsubscribe firstname.lastname@example.org". The newsletter is also posted on the OLLI website home page (www.coastal.edu/olli).
Travel with OLLI: Partnership with a well-respected tour company (Collette) has produced several exciting and affordable travel opportunities for OLLI members. Information is available at the outreach centers.
Special Interest Groups Participation in OLLI-sponsored clubs is free with OLLI membership. Registration is required to ensure adequate space.
Book Clubs (XCLB 512) meet once a month to discuss works selected by the group. Book selections are listed on the website and in the e-Newsletter. Please check our OLLI Book Club Reading List for an up-to-date list of current Book Club selections.
- Conway (C01), under the leadership of E. Elliot, meets year-round on the second Monday each month from 1 to 2:30 p.m.: 1/8, 2/12/, 3/12, 4/9.
- Litchfield (L01), under the leadership of A. Duncan, is a contemporary club that meets year-round on the fourth Monday each month from 10 a.m. to noon: 1/22, 2/26, 3/26, 4/23, 5/21.
- Litchfield (L02), the Classic Book Club, under the leadership of J. Adams, meets on the first Thursday each month from 2 to 4 p.m.: 1/4, 2/1, 3/1, 4/5, 5/3.
- Myrtle Beach (M01), under the leadership of E. Byrns and J. Hobson, meets year-round on the first Monday each month from 10:30 a.m. to noon: 1/8, 2/5, 3/5, 4/2, 5/7.
Chamber Orchestra Club (XCLB 708 M01) led by C. Lothian and J. Niles. Do you play the violin, viola, cello or bass? If so, come play around and create some wonderful music. Meets in Myrtle Beach weekly on Friday from 1:30 to 3 p.m., 1/26-5/18.
Chatterbox Coloring Club (XART 205 M01) led by K. Middleton, meets in Myrtle Beach on Mondays from 1:30 to 3 p.m., 2/19-3/19.
Current Events Club (XCLB 401 L01), led by B. Poirier, meets in Litchfield once a month, Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to noon: 1/10, 2/14, 3/14, 4/11, 5/9.
Dining Clubs (XCLB 703)
- North End Dining Club, led by S. Verbeke Granger (M01), will meet once a month at a restaurant located in the northern/southern area of the Grand Strand, exploring and enjoying a variety of cuisines. Club members must register for “class” at least one week beforehand so that restaurant reservations can be made. Members must purchase their own meals, 1/25, 2/22, 3/22, 4/26, 5/24.
- South End Dining Club, led by J. Swan (L01), will meet once a month at a restaurant located in the northern/southern area of the Grand Strand, exploring and enjoying a variety of cuisines. Club members must register for “class” at least one week beforehand so that restaurant reservations can be made. Members must purchase their own meals, 2/8, 3/8, 4/12, 5/10.
Foreign Language Clubs
- French Conversational Club for Beginners (XCLB 310 L01) led by S. Krug in Litchfield, meets on the following Tuesdays, 1/23, 1/30, 2/13, 2/20, 2/27, 3/6, 3/13 from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
- French Club (XCLB 310 M01) led by P. Kussman in Myrtle Beach, meets alternate Wednesdays from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. 1/24, 2/7, 2/21, 3/7, 3/21, 4/4, 4/18.
- Italian Club (XCLB 105 L01) led by A. McKay in Litchfield, meets on the following Thursdays, 1/25, 2/8, 2/22, 3/8, 3/22, 4/12, 4/26, 5/10 from 9 to 11 a.m.
- Spanish Club (XCLB 300 M01) led by L. Greene, meets in Myrtle Beach on the following Thursdays: 1/25, 2/22, 3/22, 4/26 from 10 a.m. to noon.
Gardening Clubs (XCLB 914) are led by master gardeners in Conway and Litchfield.
- Conway Academy of Gardening (C01), led by A. Lampley and P. Golembiewski. There are no prerequisites to participate. The club meets the first Wednesday of each month from 10 a.m. to noon: 2/7, 3/7, 4/4, 5/2.
- Litchfield Academy of Gardening (L01), led by S. Mushock Myers. There are no prerequisites to participate. The club meets the first Tuesday of each month from 10 a.m. to noon: 1/9, 2/13, 3/13, 4/10, 5/8.
Gilles Bridge Society (XCLB 736 C01) is a progressive rubber bridge group (NOT a club). Each player is asked to contribute 50 cents at each meeting to provide prize money. The format is unique for social bridge in that the same partner is retained throughout the evening and penalties for slow play are mitigated. Individuals without partners are welcome. The society has no affiliation with a national organization. Under the leadership of W. Lasher, the society meets every Thursday from 7 to 10 p.m. at the Coastal Science Center in Conway. Reservations must be made by the preceding Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. by calling 843-347-2339 or emailing email@example.com.
The Global Affairs (and More!) Club (XCLB 403 M01), led by S. Baalbaki, meets in Myrtle Beach alternate Wednesdays from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., 1/31, 2/14, 2/28, 3/14, 3/28, 4/11, 4/25, 5/9.
Investor Education Club (XCLB 701 L01) in Litchfield. Learn about the different kinds of financial investments, as well as the risks and rewards associated with each. Club participants will be able to more confidently construct an investment portfolio designed to meet your specific objectives and/or more intelligently work with a financial adviser in structuring your investment strategy. Come to share knowledge and experiences with other investors as part of a participative learning experience. The club, led by T. Miller, meets the first Tuesday of each month from 6 to 7 p.m.: 1/23, 2/6, 3/6, 4/3, 5/1.
iPad Clubs (XCLB 101)
- Conway (C01) led by R. Frost, meets at the Coastal Science Center on the following Fridays from 10 a.m. to noon, 1/12, 2/9, 3/9, 4/13.
- Myrtle Beach (M01) led by R. Frost, meets in Myrtle Beach on the following Fridays from 10 a.m. to noon, 1/19, 2/16, 3/16, 4/20.
Teal Waters Club (XCLB 915 M01) led by S. Whittick. Club members will generate discussion topics having to do with the local shores (e.g., shells, birds, beach ecology). Guest speakers and trips to local beaches or the aquarium will be included as a part of the club meetings. Transportation on your own. Meets in Myrtle Beach, 1/19, 2/16, 3/16, 4/20, 5/18, 10 a.m. to noon.
Ukulele Strum Group (XCLB 102 M01) led by L. Ammerman, meets in Myrtle Beach on the following Mondays from 1:30 to 3 p.m., 1/22, 2/5, 2/19, 3/5, 3/19.
Writers Clubs (XCLB 539)
- Litchfield (L01) led by A. McKay is for writers to support each other by making constructive suggestions and critiques. It would be helpful if each member has a work in progress. The club meets weekly on Thursday, 1/25-5/31, 1 to 3 p.m.
- Myrtle Beach (M01) led by A. Commerton and M. Crimi, is for writers to support each other by making constructive suggestions and critiques. It would be helpful if each member has a work in progress. The club meets weekly on Monday, 1/22-5/21, 2 to 4 p.m.