Guides and Tools
Moodle Enhancement Guide Updates
- Moodle Templates
- Moodle Libguide
- Moodle Quick Sheet
Instructional Tools for Moodle
- Accessibility Best Practices for Moodle
- Social Media Implementation Guide
- Getting Started with Moodle
- Moodle 3.3 Tutorials
Moodle is the campus' Learning Management System (LMS) used to help educators create effective online course materials. It allows instructors to create items such as documents, discussion forums, assignments, and quizzes. Moodle LMS support is managed by the COOL department, meaning all Moodle support and trainings are now being offered under the Coastal Office of Online Learning.
If you are an instructor requesting a new tool to be implemented into Moodle or another technology tool that will enhance your teaching, please complete the Tool/Feature Request Form to suggest the addition. These suggestions will be taken into consideration, but are not guaranteed to be approved. For more information on how to use Moodle, please visit the Moodle Resources Libguide for Faculty.
The campus will be performing a Moodle upgrade to Moodle 3.6 after the Fall 2019 semester. This upgrade will come with many great enhancements and get us closer to the recent version of Moodle. We will be updating the campus frequently on the changes and will be providing trainings when it gets closer to the upgrade.
New Moodle Features!
- Ally: Ally is an accessibility tool that integrates directly into Moodle while focusing on making digital course content more accessible for all students. For more information, click here.
- Assignment Comments: Collapse assignment feedback comments for greater readability.
- Course Overview Block: Check course progress, upcoming activities and gradeable activities.
- Edit Dates: On the edit dates page, from the Choose an activity type drop-down menu, you can either select ALL or a specific activity type to edit.
- Grade Reminder: Set a reminder to alert you in the course overview to grade submitted assignments.
The COOL department has developed two course templates for Coastal faculty that may be used at your discretion within your courses. These templates have been added automatically to the Resources area of Moodle for all online faculty members. To request copies of these templates to be added into desired courses, faculty may use the Course Request tab in Moodle. Faculty should specify in the Course Title field of this form whether they desire the Basic Moodle Template (which includes the standard textual Moodle homepage) or the Advanced Moodle Template (which includes a new graphical layout for the Moodle homepage). You may request individual elements be copied over from either template, rather than the entire template, as well. Click here for more information on Course Templates!
Please refer to the Moodle Course Templates Manual and the videos below for more information on how these templates look and function!