The mission of Coastal's Office of Online Learning (COOL) is to advance the University's ability to offer high-quality and high-value online courses and programs targeting in-demand content areas aligned to the academic strengths of the University. Toward that end, COOL has been charged with the following:
1) Coordinating development of new online courses and programs by analyzing regional and national trends, consulting with and providing recommendations on new courses/programs to academic departments and colleges, and managing faculty-oriented development grants and other incentive programs.
2) Promoting high-quality online course design aligned with the Coastal campus's Quality Assurance Inventory (QAI), through managing standards of best practices in teaching aligned with academic and administrative policies, with input provided by the university Distance Learning Committee. Providing oversight to all updates to and changes for the related course design tools of QAI and standardized COOL Course Templates.
3) Advancing online learning resources and facilities by collaborating with academic units, the University Distance Learning Committee, and Information Technology Services.
4) Marketing the Coastal Online brand and its programs by collaborating with the Office of University Communications, the Office of Admissions, and the Office of Graduate Studies, as well as academic units.
5) Coordinating the support of online learners through orientations conducted by the Office of Admissions, advising services provided by academic units, and technical support offered by Student Computing Services.
6) Providing help-desk services to all instructors using the university's learning management system (Moodle) across the span of online, hybrid, and face-to-face class offerings in the University's LMS.