Mission Statement of the Lib Jackson Student Union
The Lib Jackson Student Union serves as the inclusive center of campus life by providing a central headquarters for student organizations and the university community through attractive programs, outstanding services and state-of-the-art facilities. This center piece of the university facilitates a union for all Chanticleers including students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the surrounding community.
The purpose of the Lib Jackson Student Union is to enhance the co-curricular experience for CCU students. One of its primary functions is to serve our student organizations. Student organizations that are officially registered and have completed all training, as well as offices of departments housed in the union, will receive priority booking of meeting spaces, including the Student Organization Resource Center.
History of Lib Jackson Student Union (formerly Lib Jackson Student Center)
The Student Union was named for Elizabeth "Lib" Benson Jackson on October 16, 2004 to commemorate a family gift in her honor to Coastal's 50th Anniversary Initiatives Campaign. Mrs. Jackson was born and raised in Salsibury, N.C., the oldest of four children. She married A.E. Jackson, Jr., and the couple moved to Myrtle Beach in 1939. The Jacksons were among Myrtle Beach's earliest residents. Never been the Lib Jackson Student Union, click here for a campus map.
The Lib Jackson Student Union Expansion has added over 30,000 square feet of space to the campus. The expansion includes:
- an expanded and updated Game Room.
- a 200+ seat Movie Theater.
- a Convenience Store known as Main Street P.O.D. Market.
- 3 state-of-the-art meeting rooms, one conference room and one large meeting room.
- a variety of lounge spaces for students to relax and work on their studies.
- new offices for Career Services, International Programs, Multicultural Student Services, and The COAST.
- Student Organization Resource Center - SORC - designed workspace for all student organizations.
With the renovation and expansion of the building, the decision was made to change the name from Student Center to Student Union to reflect the new functionalities and philosophy behind the operation of the building. The new section of the building opened on January 12, 2015.
The Lib Jackson Student Union is the home to campus offices and student organizations; in Building B of the Lib Jackson Student Union, you will find the following offices:
- Aramark/Dining Services
- CINO Grille
- Coastal Activities Board
- Student Government Association
- Veterans Services
- Student Media Publications: The Chanticleer Newspaper, Archarios Literary Magazine, Tempo Feature Magazine
- Student Life