Budget - Coastal Carolina University
In This Section

Award Budget

Each funding agency will have specific rules regarding budget expenditures or re-budgeting allocated costs.

These requirements or restrictions may be found in the award documents from the sponsor, on the sponsor website or by contacting the OSPRS.

CCU Rates

Fringe Benefit Rates FY22 (PDF)                                                                                          Applied when calculating personnel payroll totals to incorporate employee benefits in project budgets. 

Facilities & Administration (F&A) Cost
Also called Indirect Costs (IDC). These charges are not directly attributable to a cost object (such as salary, travel or supplies).
Examples of IDC: Expenses for management, insurance, taxes or maintenance

Important details to remember:

» If re-allocating budget expenditures, IDC adjustments may also be required
» If sponsors require prior approval for budget changes, a request can only be administered by OSPRS
» Funds from one CCU grant/contract account cannot be transferred to another CCU account
 PIs must contact the OSPRS for proper allocation of funds if any grant charges were applied to a non-grant account (ex. 10-XXXX or 17-XXXX accounts)

Contract/Subcontract Services

When utilizing a contractor for services, supplies, etc., the vendor must have an existing account or create a new account with the University.
Remember: Contractors must have liability insurance and must present copies of insurance documentation to Procurement Services prior to the start of any services.

Substitute W-9 and Vendor Application Form (.pdf)
Includes instructions and CCU Standard Purchase Terms and Conditions

Certificate of Insurance Request Form (.pdf)
Certificate of Insurance General Guidelines (.pdf)

Additional information and forms for contract services or goods can be found on the CCU Procurement Services website or by contacting the OSPRS.


All supplies and equipment using grant funds must be processed through standard University procedures, and must be included on the budget approved by the grant sponsor.

The electronic purchasing system ePro@ccu replaced the paper purchase requisition process 

Grant Specified Exemption Procedures (.pdf)
Procurement policy regarding exemptions for grant funds

Sales Tax Exempt Research & Development Equipment (.pdf)
Applied to purchase of research and development equipment

Please visit the CCU Procurement Services website to review policies and procedures, or contact the OSPRS with your questions.

A note about equipment: Some funding agencies may retain the title to equipment purchased with sponsor funds. 

Equipment is usually defined as nonexpendable, tangible property having a useful life of more than two years, with an acquisition cost of $5000 or more per unit.
All equipment is inventoried and vested in the University (unless otherwise stated by sponsor terms).


All hiring and HREO procedures for grant-supported personnel must adhere to University and State guidelines, requirements, regulations and policy.

Remember: Several weeks may be necessary to complete certain personnel processes.
Wage forms should be submitted to HREO before the start date of grant-related work.

The following forms are typically used for grant personnel, please contact the OSPRS if you have any questions:


Dual Employment Request Form [Internal] (.pdf)
Faculty extra compensation from grant funds in addition to CCU payroll
Applies to Academic Year (Aug 16th-May15th)
Staff extra compensation from grant activities performed outside normal work hours

Slotted Faculty Summer Employment Form (.pdf)
Faculty summer extra compensation for grant activities
(May 16th-Aug 15th)

Supplemental Pay (H17) (.pdf)
Staff extra compensation for grant activities performed during normal work hours

Honorarium Form (.pdf)
Honoraria payments - one-time payments for non-CCU faculty


Request - Grant Funded Position 
Initiate in PeopleAdmin for new position for grant-specific duties

Request for Graduate Assistantship (.pdf)                                                                Hire graduate student positions (for grant-specific duties)

Graduate Full-time Status Request (.pdf)                                                                Request for exception to full-time enrollment for graduate students    

Student Hire Workflow (Datatel)
Hire undergraduate & graduate (not awarded assistantship) students

Request to Advertise 
Inititiate in PeopleAdmin to advertise open position for candidate applications

Personnel Action Form (PAF)‌ (.pdf)
Faculty/Staff/Student Hire in position


Employment of Minor Form (.pdf)
Hire students under 18 years of age

Confidentiality Agreement - Student Workers (.pdf)
Confidentiality agreement for CCU student employees

Reminder for required new hire Form I-9 completion:
I-9 Do'sI-9 Don'ts
DO give the new hire the most recent list of the acceptable documents with E-Verify Form (see I-9: List of Acceptable Documents).
Andrew Czekanski, Ph.D.
DO NOT tell the new hire they must bring a driver's license and social security card for the Form I-9. 
You cannot legally decide which forms they should provide.
Refer new hire to I-9: List of Acceptable Documents.
DO provide HREO with the correct start date. DO NOT give HREO or new hire incorrect start date.
DO instruct the new hire to go to the HREO Office on or before the position start date. DO NOT falsify time card to allow new hire to begin on date different than official start date.
DO check the new hire’s E-Verify form (if applicable) before beginning any work. DO NOT allow new hire to continue work after the third day if HREO has not received documents for Form I-9.
DO contact HREO with any questions.  

 For any other HREO or Payroll documents, please visit the CCU Online Forms website.


Travel for grant-supported activities must follow University and State policies. Travel authorizations must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the planned travel date for processing and approval.

Please visit the Accounts Payable website for additional information on CCU travel policy.

Funding agencies may have specific restrictions for travel. Please contact the OSPRS if you are uncertain of your particular grant travel terms.

» Federal grants require the use of U.S. flag carriers, even for foreign travel.
» The State of South Carolina requires that all foreign travel is reported to the Budget and Control Board.

Return to the Office of Sponsored Programs and Research Services home page.
Not looking for grant information? Click here to access all Coastal Carolina University pages.