Applying for graduation is an important milestone in your academic journey. This information should help you understand what you need to complete in order to apply for graduation.
Q. Who is eligible for graduation?
A. In order to be eligible for graduation, you must register for your remaining coursework and:
- Meet all course requirements, all "in residence" requirements, and all departmental or program requirements.
- Have earned the minimum cumulative GPA on all work attempted at Coastal Carolina University (2.0 for undergraduate; 3.0 for graduate).
- Have earned the minimum hours as determined by the degree or certificate (120 earned hours minimum for undergraduate degree; 30 earned hours minimum for graduate degree; 12 earned hours minimum for a certificate).
- Have a clean Program Evaluation showing a status of 'Pending Anticipated Complete' or 'Complete.'
- If you receive a grade of "I" (Incomplete) for any of your classes for the current term (or have an "I" from a previous term), you must have completed all coursework and turned it in to the instructor by the end of your specified graduation term. If not, your graduation application will be denied and will have to reapply for graduation for a future term.
Q. How can I apply?
A. Applying for graduation is an electronic process through WebAdvisor.
Q. Is there a tutorial that I can reference for online graduation applications?
Q. Do I need to pay my graduation application fee at the Office of Student Accounts?
A. You can pay your application fee directly through the new online process once it becomes available. Within the payment portal, there is an option to pay by an electronic check, which does not charge a service fee. However, credit card payments will incur a service charge.
Q. What if I already paid my graduation application fee in the Office of Student Accounts?
A. The online graduation application process should skip the payment portal if you have already made a payment in the Office of Student Accounts. If there are any issues with this, you may forward a copy of your receipt to email@example.com so that your application can be updated.
Q. When is the deadline to apply for graduation?
A. Please refer to the Academic Calendar for specific dates.
Q. How do I graduate with Honors?
- Honors is only available for undergraduate degrees.
- Earn at least 60 graded (GHR) hours applicable toward the degree "in residence" at Coastal Carolina University.
- Honors will *NOT* show on your graduation application because it is based on your completed GPA. It will, however, show you on your final official transcript.
- Honors will be calculated based on your Coastal Carolina University GPA, including both original and repeated grades that were taken (including 'Course Repeat Forgiveness').
- Summa Cum Laude: GPA 4.000
- Magna Cum Laude: GPA 3.750 to 3.999
- Cum Laude: GPA 3.500 to 3.749
Q. How do I graduate with University Honors Program?
- Meet all University Honors requirements as described in the University Catalog, including earning at least of 24 credits of Honors designated coursework.
- University Honors will only be awarded to undergraduate programs of study.
- University Honors will show on your graduation application and must be approved by the University Honors Director.
- University Honors will show on your Official Transcript once the completion of your degree/certificate has been verified.
Q. Can I attend a commencement ceremony that is earlier than the final semester that I will complete my degree requirements?
A. No. A degree candidate is not eligible to participate in a commencement ceremony that is earlier than the final semester the candidate will complete his/her degree requirements:
- Fall semester candidates are eligible to participate in the December commencement ceremony.
- Spring semester candidates are eligible to participate in the May commencement ceremony.
- Summer semester candidates (May, Summer I, Summer II) are eligible to participate in the August commencement ceremony. Summer semester candidates are not eligible to participate in the May commencement ceremony.
Q. Are there other resources for graduates?
A. Yes, please visit www.coastal.edu/commencement for more information
Q. Who should I contact if I have additional questions?
A. Feel free to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, come by and see us at 222 Baxley Hall, or give us call at 843-349-2019.