Coastal Carolina University’s Recreation and Sport Management faculty is composed of teachers/mentors who have a wide variety of professional and practical experiences in the discipline and profession. The program prepares knowledgeable and effective entry-level professionals in the recreation or sport industries through a variety of modalities including learning theoretical foundations in the classroom, community-based experiential learning, applied and collaborative research, and a capstone internship. The active learning approach employed by the program prepares critically-thinking graduates who positively impact their community through the delivery of high quality recreation and sport services. Students and faculty work collaboratively to acquire the essential knowledge, skills, abilities and disposition to plan, promote, implement, and evaluate contemporary recreation and sport programs or events that serve society and enhance quality of life.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
At the completion of the RSM program students will be able to:
1. Explain the principles and philosophies underlying the field of recreation and sport management.
2. Demonstrate managerial skills in the areas of personnel, scheduling, program evaluation, decision-making, goal setting, and problem solving.
3. Implement legal and risk management aspects of recreation and sport management.
4. Apply knowledge and skills of facilities and events planning.
5. Conduct appropriate needs assessment, marketing, and public relations necessary to promote and program recreational and sport events and activities.
6. Communicate with key constituencies in recreation or sport settings.
7. Apply the principles, techniques, and strategies of marketing to recreation or sport events.
8. Display the dispositions of an effective entry-level recreation and sport manager including, but not limited to communication, professionalism, and functioning within organizational goals.
P.O. Box 261954
Conway, SC 29528
(843) 349-2875 (Fax)
Dr. Gibson Darden
Student Quick Links
55.0° / 13.0° C