B.A. Middle Level Education
The Middle Level Education program, initiated at Coastal Carolina in 2004, prepares graduates to meets the educational requirements for South Carolina teacher licensure in grades 5-8. The program enables candidates to become knowledgeable about (1) the developmental characteristics of young adolescents, (2) the range of individual differences of young adolescents, and (3) the implications that adolescent growth and development may have on teaching and learning.
Candidates are trained to demonstrate skill in creating, designing, and implementing curriculum and instructional activities that are based on standards (state and national), are interdisciplinary in nature, demonstrate integration of technology in curriculum planning and instruction, and are developmentally appropriate for the social, emotional, physical, and intellectual needs of young adolescents between the ages of 10 and 14.
Admission to the Professional Program in Teacher Education
All students enter the program as pre-majors. Candidates may complete a formal application for admission to the professional program in teacher education (PPTE) when they have completed at least 60 hours of college level coursework and have met the following requirements:
- Earn at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA;
- Earn a "C" or better in ENGL 101, ENGL 102 or ENGL 211, EDML 317, EDUC 111, EDUC 334, and EDUC 204
- Earn passing scores on all three areas of Praxis I or meet the exemption policy;
- Successfully clear a criminal background check;
- Complete a Professional Behavior and Dispositions Self-Evaluation; and
- Candidates are reviewed for acceptance by the Portal I Faculty Committee.
Beyond the Classroom
- The Spadoni College is nationally accredited by NCATE (National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education), as well as the South Carolina Board of Education.
- Horry County is the third largest school district in the state of South Carolina.
- Students who earn a degree from CCU and South Carolina licensure are eligible for reciprocal licensure in every other state.
- The Middle Level Education program includes extensive clinical experiences in area schools, beginning in the first semester of study in education and continuing through the internship experience at the end of the program. Clinical field work begins with a focus on guided observation experiences, followed by expectations for individual, small group and whole-class instruction.
- Coastal Carolina University offers two student organizations for education majors: The South Carolina Education Association Club (SCEA) and the national education honor society, Kappa Delta Pi.
EDML 317 Foundations in Literacy Across the Lifespan
EDML 417 Reading in the Content Area - Middle Level
EDML 425 Classroom Organization and Management - Middle Level
EDML 441 Middle Level Curriculum and Organization
EDML 445 Middle Level Instructional Theory and Practice
Take two of the following methodology courses:
EDML 489 Methods for Teaching English/Language Arts at the Middle Level
EDML 490 Methods for Teaching Social Studies at the Middle Level
EDML 491 Methods for Teaching Science at the Middle Level
EDML 492 Methods for Teaching Mathematics at the Middle Level
EDML 458 Internship Seminar
EDML 468 Internship
Austin Hitt, Ph.D.
Program Coordinator, Middle Level Education
Prince Building 105H
Suzanne Horn, Ph.D.
Chair, Graduate and Specialty Studies
Prince Building 105J