The LIFE Admissions Committee reviews completed applications and recommends students for admission, which is based, in part, on the following criteria:
- The completed program application packet
- Required documentation of intellectual disability, with significant limitations in intellectual functioning and in adaptive behavior, as defined in AAIDD. (Full Scale IQ Below 70).
“Intellectual disability is a disability characterized by significant limitations both in intellectual functioning and in adaptive behavior as expressed in conceptual, social, and practical adaptive skills. This disability originates before the age of 18” (AAIDD)
- Must be between 18 and 24 years old
- Secondary exit document: typically, our students have NOT met the requirement for and/or received a state high school diploma or its equivalent, however, each student is evaluated on an individual basis.
- Ability to read at a functional level (at least third-grade)
- Basic math skills and ability to use a calculator
- Ability to function independently for a sustainable period of time (at least three hours)
- Neither has nor exhibits a history of difficult, challenging behavior
- Maintains adult rights
- Independently exhibits desire and motivation to participate in and complete a post-secondary program
- A personal interview
- Desire to become an independent adult
- Potential and desire to be successfully employed
- Emotional stability and independent desire to participate in all aspects of Coastal Carolina University LIFE program and adhere to program and University policies regarding attendance and participation in the program
- Agree to actively participate in assessments and interviews for the purpose of personal goal setting and program improvement
- Willingness to participate in research and promotional activities of the Carolina University LIFE program and Coastal Carolina University
Application for Fall 2021 will be considered through a rolling admission process. Life Program Application is here!
Coastal Carolina University
Prince Building 123
100 Tom Trout Drive
P.O. Box 261954
Conway, SC 29528-6054