Ideas and Inspiration
Décor Ideas for any Budget
Pick a Focal Point
- If you do not have enough in your budget to decorate an entire space, pick a point of focus, and pour your resources into that. When guests enter the room, their eyes will instantly be drawn to this area.
- Your focal point should be where your food is or where the action is taking place.
- Adding greenery around a venue, such as palms and ferns, can make a large room quainter or define an outdoor event area. Work orders can be placed at myschoolbuilding.com to coordinate delivery of greenery.
- A work order, for small bud vases, can be placed at myschoolbuilding.com under greenhouse.
- Even on a small budget, you can make simple, creative, and elegant arrangements that enhance your event.
- Costco is a great source for a variety of flowers, and large quantities of flowers can be ordered in advance. The Costco Fax and Pull Purchase Authorization form can be accessed through the Faculty and Staff page, click "Forms" in the Quick Links Box, Log In and click on "Costco Fax and Pull Purchase Authorization," under Financial Services-Accounts Payable Forms.
- Choose beautiful flowers such as white hydrangeas, carnations, orchids, or calla lilies.
- Accent your arrangements with lily grass, sheet moss, and monstera leaves.
- Use various vase sizes: tall glass, square glass, bubble bowl, or even small votives.
- Assemble the pieces with bind wire, oasis blocks, or waterproof ribbon.
Table Set Up
- By printing names on both sides of place cards, you can assist guests with finding their seats as well as help everyone else at the table know their name.
- Assigning a seat to all attendees is labor intensive, but it is the best way to ensure that you have an institute representative at each table.
- The more you line everything up, the cleaner a room will look and feel. Check to ensure all of the chairs are the same distance from the table and any additional materials (notepads, menu cards, etc.) appear in the same spot.
- Linens should always be draped over rental tables being used for registration, dining, etc.
- Linens come in various shapes and sizes. Consult the Table and Linen Size Guide to determine the appropriate linen size to fit your specific table.
- Discuss with your vendor, which colors and materials are available.
- Consider adding overlays to make your table pop.
- Don’t forget napkins! They probably won’t be included in your linen costs, but the price should be less or around $1.00 each.
- Delivery, installation, and pick-up charges will likely be added to your linen order, so be sure to request an itemized account of all charges so you can review the breakdown of costs and double-check the total.
On-Campus Table Linens
- Tables, owned by the University, can be requested for an event by placing a work order on myschoolbuilding.com. Requests should be made at least two weeks in advance to ensure availability. (University tables include: Standing high-boy tables/cocktail tables, 6 and 5ft round tables, 6ft banquet tables and podiums – contact Wendy Singleton at 843-349-2650 or email@example.com to check quantities).
- Some linens can be rented through Aramark and be applied to your catering costs.