FAQs - Coastal Carolina University
In This Section

**COVID-19 is a rapidly changing situation. Your well-being is our top priority. Our lobby is currently closed to visitors but we are available to answer your questions. Please send them to studentaccounts@coastal.edu or call 843-349-2159 between 8:00AM and 5:00PM Monday through Thursday and 8:00AM to 12:30 PM on Friday. Most of the staff will be working remotely during this period so there may be a delay in response time.  We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Visit 20/SP Billing FAQ for general billing information. Information about financial aid related to the CARES Act can be found at CARES Act FAQs. Information about CHE’s guidance on refunds can be found at CHE.SC.Gov and additional information issued by CCU can be found at COVID-19 Credit Information.

Please take every possible precaution to keep yourselves healthy and safe by following the guidance of the CDC and the SC DHEC and to stay up to date on University announcements via the CCU Advisory page.

Frequently Asked Questions

When will I receive my bill?

All billing is done through WebAdvisor. The Student Accounts website and WebAdvisor will display when bills will be available online, when payments are due and when the first financial aid disbursement of each semester will occur.

How long do I have to pay my bill?

Except for preregistration, all bills are due when they appear on your student account. You can view your bill on the Current Account Balance screen through WebAdvisor.

How do I make a payment online?

Go to WebAdvisor. Payments can be made on the Make a Payment screen. If your balance is not accurate, please contact one of the following offices: Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships if any scholarships or other aid are not reflected on your account at 843-349-2313 or Office of Student Accounts with any questions regarding your charges at 843-349-2159.

How do I know my payment was approved?

A payment confirmation screen will appear. This screen displays the amount paid and a reference number. You will also receive an email to your University email address with the same information. This can serve as your receipt.

If payment is not approved, check the credit card type, number, expiration date and resubmit. If the credit card is declined, contact the issuing bank to ensure sufficient available credit is on the credit card and try again.

Can I still pay online without paying a service fee?

To avoid the service fee, make online payments directly from any checking account using the electronic checks (ACH) option. Simply enter the bank routing and account numbers on the Official Payments website linked through WebAdvisor. Please note that Savings accounts and Home Equity accounts are non-transaction accounts on which electronic checks cannot be drawn. A $30 fee will be assessed for all returned checks.

Credit Card Policy

Effective July 11, 2016, all credit and debit card payments to Coastal Carolina University for student account balances, including tuition, fees, room/board, fines and other charges, are subject to a 2.7 percent service fee charged to the individual card. The University will continue to accept VISA, MasterCard, Discover, American Express and electronic checks, although there is no fee charged for electronic checks. The Office of Student Accounts will no longer accept credit or debit card payments by fax, but will accept cash, checks, money orders, and credit and debit cards in person. Parents and students must have a credit or debit card in their name and present it to be processed.

Why is my housing $50 more than my room cost?

The additional $50 charge on the Registration Statement (bill) is the processing fee that was paid when the Housing Application was completed. The Payments line will reflect the $50 payment. The $100 advance payment will show on the Advance Deposit line once housing has been assigned.

How do I set up a payment plan?

The most convenient way to set up a payment plan is by clicking on the Payment Plan Agreement link in WebAdvisor. You may also come to the Office of Student Accounts to set up a payment plan in person. Please note: Simply paying a fourth of your balance online does not constitute setting up a payment plan. You must complete the online application once EACH semester, pay the setup fee and agree to the terms and conditions before the plan is in effect.

May I set up a payment plan for Maymester and summer term classes?

No, the payment plan option is only available for the fall and spring full terms.

What do I need to know about auditing a class?

All auditors must be admitted to the University and go through the regular registration process. Auditors will be charged the same fees as students taking courses for academic credit.

Why can't I ask about my child's account? I pay the bill.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that gives parents the right to have access to their children's educational records, the right to have the records amended and the right to have some control over the disclosure of personally identifiable information from the educational records. However, when a student turns 18 years old or enters a postsecondary institution at any age, the rights under FERPA transfer from the parent to the student. This means that any record, be it academic, financial or judicial, will not be released to anyone other than the student without prior written permission or Parent/Guardian access granted (completed through WebAdvisor) from that student.

My student has signed me up for Parent/Guardian access on WebAdvisor. Why can't you discuss with me the miscellaneous charges on my student's account?

FERPA does not permit us to discuss miscellaneous charges with anyone but the student, even someone to whom the student has granted Parent/Guardian access.

How will I receive my excess financial aid money?

Refunds are processed electronically by direct deposit into a checking or savings account. Students may use their checking or savings account or may use their parent's checking or savings account to receive their funds. The checking or savings account must be a U.S. account. Students should enroll through WebAdvisor. Students must update their direct deposit enrollment information whenever their banking information changes.

Any credit on your account created by a Parent PLUS loan is refunded in the form of a paper check made payable to the borrowing parent and mailed to the permanent home address on file with the lender.

My 1098-T did not come in the mail. May I obtain a copy of all expenses I paid for during the past calendar year?

Forms 1098-T are available by the Jan. 31 IRS reporting deadline. Forms can be accessed through WebAdvisor; from the Student menu select “View My 1098-T Forms” under Student Accounts - Financial Services. A statement of expenses can be printed from WebAdvisor within Student Finance under “View Statement” for the fall and spring semester within the calendar year.

I am an international student. Should I expect to receive a 1098-T?

If you’ve submitted a social security number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), your 1098-T can be found in WebAdvisor under the Student Accounts Financial Services menu. If you have not submitted a valid SSN or ITIN, a form will not generate until you do so. Be advised that the receipt of this form does not indicate that for tax purposes you are eligible for any education benefits.

Where can I find out more about Education Tax Credits and Form 1098-T?

More information about Education Tax Credits and Form 1098-T can be found at the 1098-T FAQ page.

How long do I have to make changes to my meal plan?

You may change your meal plan during the first two weeks of the semester. *Except Commuter meal plans*

Is a meal plan required on my account?

All resident freshmen and sophomores are required to have one of the four resident meal plans. Exemptions may be granted and requests for exemption should be directed to the Office of University Housing (housing@coastal.edu).

Will there be restrictions placed on my account if I don’t pay the balance owed?

To minimize disruptions to class schedules, access to transcripts and diplomas, it is important that each student keeps up with his/her student account balance and associated timeliness for payment. The Student Accounts Calendar of important dates for the academic year is provided on WebAdvisor to inform or remind students of bill issuance and payment due dates.

I have a Bursar hold on my account. What does this mean?

With the exception of a U2, which indicates that a student is on a payment plan, a Bursar hold indicates that a student has a balance on his/her student account that needs to be paid.

May I charge books in the bookstore?

Yes, if you have borrowed more than you need to cover your balance, you are eligible to charge books at the Chanticleer Bookstore. However, you must complete a Financial Aid Authorization form authorizing the use of these funds to be applied to all of your charges. You can sign the Financial Aid Authorization form on WebAdvisor and if the money is PLUS money, the parent's signature is also required and can be completed on the (Parents) WebAdvisor.

I have a 529 Plan. Who can help me?

Contact the banking institution that holds your 529 Plan. Each plan is different and your bank will be able to tell you how they disburse funds. For additional information, contact the Office of Student Accounts at 843-349-2159, who processes these funds once they are received by the University.

May I cash a check in the Office of Student Accounts?

Student Accounts does not provide any banking. There are several banks in the area with incentives for students who open accounts.

May I use my financial aid for the next fall semester to pay my remaining spring (or summer) balance?

Future aid cannot be used on prior balances. Prior/delinquent balances can hinder registration, receiving transcripts and your diploma. Please pay all balances in a timely manner.

Why didn't my loan check come in for the amount I borrowed?

Most student loans and PLUS loans have loan origination fees, a fee the lender charges you for borrowing money. This information should be found in the terms and conditions from your lender regarding the loan. We only see the full amount that was borrowed until the money actually arrives from the lender.

Where do I find WebAdvisor assistance?

Additional instructions are available at: https://www.coastal.edu/registrar/using-campus-systems/webadvisorstudents/

Senior Citizens

Senior c (60 years of age or older) who are residents of South Carolina may be eligible to attend classes on a space available basis without the payment of tuition (excludes required course fees) provided the applicant meets the regular admission requirements and the other standards of the University. Senior citizens must complete either the Readmission and Non-Degree Student application or Freshman or Transfer application, depending on the status of enrollment that is desired. In addition, the Free Tuition Application for Senior Citizens must be completed and submitted to the Office of Admissions and Merit Awards. Under the free tuition program, senior citizens cannot register for classes until the day prior to the first day of class for the term in which they wish to enroll.

If I don’t pay my bill, will my account be referred to a collection agency and will I incur additional fees?

By registering for classes at Coastal Carolina University, a student accepts full financial responsibility for payment of tuition, fees and all other related expenses. If the student fails to make timely payment, his/her account may be referred to a collection agency, and he/she will be responsible for reimbursing the University for the collection agency’s fees and all costs and expenses, including reasonable attorney’s fees, incurred in such collection efforts. A student is bound by these policies for the duration of his/her enrollment at Coastal Carolina University and until all final charges are paid in full.