Coastal Carolina University is coordinating fund-raising activities on campus to raise money for the American Red Cross for hurricane victim assistance. Collection buckets have been placed around campus and will be circulated at university events.
Coastal also is assisting students displaced from colleges and universities in the affected areas. The admissions staff is working with these students on a case-by-case basis to assist them in registering for academic courses and obtaining housing.
Following are some Katrina-related activities on campus. This list will be posted and updated on the university web site at www.coastal.edu. Proceeds from all these events go to the relief efforts.
- "Coastal Cares for our Coastal Friends," features a band and food on the Student Center Deck on Wednesday, Sept. 7 from 11a.m. to 2 p.m., sponsored by Students Taking Active Responsibility (STAR) and Coastal Productions. Pizza and soft drinks will be sold for $1, and tie-dye T- shirts will sell for $3.
- Coastal Carolina University's Gospel Choir is planning a Prayer Circle on Prince Lawn on Thursday, Sept. 8 from 11:20 to 11:30 a.m.
- Virtue Trap and the Necessary Brothers bands are hosting a Thursday concert on the Student Center Deck starting at 1:30 p.m. Food and drinks will be available. The concert will last "until all pockets are emptied out," according to band organizers.
- The CCU Tennis Team is passing buckets around at Saturday's football game against James Madison University at 7 p.m. at Brooks Stadium.
- Horry County Scholar's Academy plans a 12-hour walk-a-thon on Sept 16-17 on the Coastal track. Pledges are requested for each hour walked, rather than the number of laps walked. They will also accept drop-by monetary donations.
For more information, call 349-2302.
To find out how you can help in the community, visit www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mid/myrtlebeachonline/12551602.htm