Coastal Carolina University's Student Alumni Ambassadors (SAA) has selected 13 new members as part of their spring 2006 recruitment class.
SAA members are chosen for their leadership qualities, according to Ashley Stathos, director of Special Events and adviser to SAA at Coastal. The students represent the interests of the students at official university functions and serve as a liaison between the student body and the university's alumni as well as community constituencies. Ambassadors assist the Office of University Relations in many capacities, including event coordination for presidential, advancement and alumni related events. SAA is co-advised by Christi Chambers, director of Alumni Relations, and Katherine Sarvis, assistant to Alumni Relations.
"Involvement in these activities makes the students aware of the importance of alumni participation and community involvement in the functioning of the university and gives them an opportunity to network with university and community officials," said Stathos. "SAA members help promote and enhance school spirit among their classmates and in the surrounding community. This builds student-university affinity which helps cultivate a sense of connection and commitment in students who will be future alumni."
Coastal's SAA program was initiated in 1996. The spring '06 class is the largest recruitment class in recent years. Members were chosen from an applicant pool of 21.
The new members include:
- Trevor Arrowood, a freshman biology major of Rutherfordton, N.C.
- Lauren Brajer, a sophomore English and communications major of Roxbury, N.J.
- Robert Curry, a sophomore marine science major of Manassas, Va.
- Tyeisha B. Davis, a sophomore English major of Columbia
- Heather Eurell, a freshman resort tourism management major of Summerville
- Elisabeth M. Hamer, a junior management major of Greenville
- Lauren Helms, a senior health promotions and sports medicine major of Johnsonville
- Kristen Hillman, a junior finance major of Sidney, Maine
- Amanda Laney, a sophomore biology major and Spanish minor of Granite Falls, N.C.
- Mark Lowder, a sophomore management major of Asheboro, N.C.
- Tommy Lyons, a freshman management major of Allison Park, Pa.
- John Morrell, a junior finance major of Saco, Maine
- Joshua Lee Norman, a senior management and accounting major of Chillicothe, Ohio