Coastal Carolina University's Division of Academic Outreach is expanding its Lifelong Learning opportunities to North Myrtle Beach. Courses and workshops will be offered at the J. Bryan Floyd Community Center, 1030 Possum Trot Road, by Lifelong Learning instructors who currently teach at CCU's outreach centers in Conway, Myrtle Beach, Litchfield and Georgetown.
The following courses will begin in April:
* Book Club with Caroline Ewing - Mondays, April 2 to May 7, 10 a.m. to noon, free. This club will meet once a week to discuss current and classic books selected by the group leader.
* Writing Memories with Caroline Ewing - Mondays, April 2 to May 7, 1 to 3 p.m., $40. The writing class will allow members to create personal stories, chronicles and writing collections through a six-weeks course.
* Backyard Habitat for Birds and Native Plants with Nancy Edelman - Monday, April 2, 1 to 3 p.m., free. Edelman will provide creative and environmentally friendly tips on creating a backyard gardening sanctuary.
* Judeo-Christian History Series with Norm Whiteley - Mondays, April 9 to 30, 1 to 3 p.m., $40. In this four-week course, students will explore the following topics: "Origins of the Bible," "Understanding the Dead Sea Scrolls," "The Historical Jesus" and "The Birth of Christianity."
* Art History: The Pre-Raphaelite Movement with Millie Doud - Tuesdays, April 3 to 24, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., $40. Doud will explore a fascinating period of art history in this four-week course.
* Batik I: Introduction to Painting on Silk with Alice Estes - Tuesdays, April 3 to May 8, 1:30 to 4 p.m., $85 plus additional materials. The basic skills of fabric painting and other art techniques will be presented through this six-week course.
* How to Take Better Pictures with Vic Pizzolato - Wednesdays, April 4 to May 9, 10 a.m. to noon, $75. Pizzolato will teach basic and detailed photographic techniques in this six-week course.
* Historic Islam with Sam Syme - Wednesdays, April 11 to May 2, 10 to 11:30 a.m., $40. This four week course will examine Islamic precepts and beliefs.
For more information, call 349-4001 (or 4003) or visit online at www.coastal.edu/outreach.